Select to view content in your preferred language

"Connection Error" in Database Connection | ArcGIS Pro 2.0

10-11-2017 08:38 AM
VincentLaunstorfer
Regular Contributor

I am migrating to ArcGIS Pro 2.0 and encountering difficulties to connect to an Oracle database.

I get a dialog box showing a Connection Error (attached).

Is it related to a missing database client software on my machine? Or anything wrong with the parameters?

In ArcCatalog, I used to have Application Server set for the Database Platform parameter, which I cannot find in the ArcGIS Pro dialog box. I used Oracle instead. Also, with the ArcGIS Pro dialog form, I cannot specify the Database name...

Any help?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

What you are using in ArcCatalog, is a SDE Service Connection or Application Server server, which uses an SDE service to connect to the Enterprise geodatabase. This I am pretty sure is not supported in ArcGIS Pro. Esri deprecated the use of SDE Command line tools and creation of new SDE Services starting from ArcGIS 10.3. So it is better if you consider migrating to Direct Connections.

You will need to use Direct Connect, to connect to your Oracle geodatabase. For that, you need to configure Oracle 64-Bit client on the machine where you have installed ArcGIS Pro.

Connect to a database—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

Database connections in ArcGIS Pro—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

Connect to Oracle from ArcGIS—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

VincentLaunstorfer
Regular Contributor

Thanks, it helped.

According to (in the Oracle section):

Database connections in ArcGIS Pro—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

It looks like you either need:

- Oracle database client installed

OR

- Oracle instance configured to allow Easy Connect

The Easy Connect configuration looks the easiest. Need to try that...

0 Kudos
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

Yes, but for the Oracle Instant Client as well, you will need to either:

1) install Oracle Instant on your machine, which installs the necessary files and adds the necessary path in environment variable, OR

2) Copy the Instant Client files and manually set the path in Environment Variable.

Recommendation: In case you are not sure, what to do, request help from your DBA.