Python in Notebook to calculate field

12-30-2021 07:56 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm transitioning python code from an Add-in used in ArcMap to ArcGIS Pro. I decided to use a Python notebook for one of the scripts.  I am copying the code from the Add-In and pasting it into the notebook.

The line below is causing an error.

arcpy.CalculateField_management(CountyAgSUM, "GISdeed", "a(!FIRST_FIRS!)", "PYTHON_9.3", "def a(FIRST_FIRS):\\n  if FIRST_FIRS == \"AC\":\\n    return \'0\'\\n  else:\\n    return FIRST_FIRS")

And the error it's throwing is listed here.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
ExecuteError                              Traceback (most recent call last)
In  [44]:
Line 83:    arcpy.CalculateField_management(CountyAgSUM, "GISdeed", "a(!FIRST_FIRS!)", "PYTHON_9.3", "def a(FIRST_FIRS):\\n  if FIRST_FIRS == \"AC\":\\n    return \'0\'\\n  else:\\n    return FIRST_FIRS")

File C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\Resources\ArcPy\arcpy\management.py, in CalculateField:
Line 5209:  raise e

File C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\Resources\ArcPy\arcpy\management.py, in CalculateField:
Line 5206:  retval = convertArcObjectToPythonObject(gp.CalculateField_management(*gp_fixargs((in_table, field, expression, expression_type, code_block, field_type), True)))

File C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\Resources\ArcPy\arcpy\geoprocessing\_base.py, in <lambda>:
Line 511:   return lambda *args: val(*gp_fixargs(args, True))

ExecuteError: Failed to execute. Parameters are not valid.
ERROR 000989: Python syntax error:   File "<string>", line 1
    def a(FIRST_FIRS):\n  if FIRST_FIRS == "AC":\n    return '0'\n  else:\n    return FIRST_FIRS
                                                                                             ^
SyntaxError: unexpected character after line continuation character

Failed to execute (CalculateField).

Any suggestions on what I need to do to fix it are appreciated.

1 Reply
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

try replacing the double quotes within the code block with single quotes.

a = "def a(FIRST_FIRS):\\n  if FIRST_FIRS == \'AC\':\\n    return \'0\'\\n  else:\\n    return FIRST_FIRS"

a
"def a(FIRST_FIRS):\\n  if FIRST_FIRS == 'AC':\\n    return '0'\\n  else:\\n    return FIRST_FIRS"

... sort of retired...