How to format or use satellite imagery to calculate impervious surfaces

Jump to solution
12-28-2021 10:01 AM
KimberlyHamm
New Contributor III

I am new to ArcGIS pro. I worked my way through the lesson "Calculate impervious surfaces from spectral imagery" https://learn.arcgis.com/en/projects/calculate-impervious-surfaces-from-spectral-imagery/ andI am now ready to do this on satellite imagery for a location where I live but I don't understand what image to use. If I'm just looking at ArcGIS pro basemap with satellite imagery how do I save just the area that I would like to work with so that I can use classification tools and raster functions? Or do I need to pull in satellite data from elsewhere like Google Earth? 

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

"Spectral imagery" and "satellite imagery" are not always the same things. What you see in the basemap and Google Maps is really just a picture, whereas true spectral imagery will often include other wavelengths not visible to the human eye.

As the linked lesson plan notes, that lesson was performed against NAIP imagery. You can find NAIP, and many, many other imagery sources, on the Earth Explorer site.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS

View solution in original post

JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Map > Add Data > Data. Then browse to the folder containing the TIFF file(s).

JayantaPoddar_0-1640892517535.png

Here are some useful links to get started with ArcGIS Pro.

ArcGIS Pro quick-start tutorials—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

Getting Started with ArcGIS Pro | Esri Training Web Course

Add data to a project—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

Think Location

View solution in original post

5 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

"Spectral imagery" and "satellite imagery" are not always the same things. What you see in the basemap and Google Maps is really just a picture, whereas true spectral imagery will often include other wavelengths not visible to the human eye.

As the linked lesson plan notes, that lesson was performed against NAIP imagery. You can find NAIP, and many, many other imagery sources, on the Earth Explorer site.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
KimberlyHamm
New Contributor III

I went to EarthExplorer and downloaded a NAIP image but I can't figure out how to open it in ArcGIS pro. I just can't seem to find any help on how to get an image in ArcGIS pro that I can manipulate in the same way that the tutorial showed. I guess it should be intuitive but I don't know how to do it and I can't find a tutorial on how to get the correct image in so that I can work on it. 

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You should just be able to find it in a folder from Pro, or even drag the file into the map canvas from a folder.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
KimberlyHamm
New Contributor III

Screenshot 2021-12-30 130919.png

Screenshot 2021-12-30 131041.png

The first image is what I'm clicking on to download map and the second is in Pro. I selected "Insert Map" but maybe this is the wrong way to go about it? The folder always appears empty when I try to add it in Pro. It is a TIF file. 

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Map > Add Data > Data. Then browse to the folder containing the TIFF file(s).

JayantaPoddar_0-1640892517535.png

Here are some useful links to get started with ArcGIS Pro.

ArcGIS Pro quick-start tutorials—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

Getting Started with ArcGIS Pro | Esri Training Web Course

Add data to a project—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

Think Location