Please help! Arcgis Pro keeps crashing.

02-24-2024 06:26 PM
e1riss
by
New Contributor

I am a new user to ArcGIS pro as I am a student using it in a GIS class. I downloaded pro on my personal PC and the application worked fine for about the first month but the last couple weeks I can't go 5 minutes without it crashing and I don't know what it could possibly be as it occurs wheteher im manipulating a mapview or creating a layout. I tried doing a clean reinstall and that hasn't worked, I have tested all of my hardware and my RAM, CPU, etc. are in perfect working order and haven't given me difficulty with other tasks like gaming. ESRI has not been very helpful with remedy options and even went as far as to say "...we don't find resolutions for Crash Outreach cases...". Thank you to anyone who can help!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Eugene_Adkins
Occasional Contributor III

Without details beyond what you have provided it will be very difficult for anyone to offer advice. You will have to try, to the best of your ability, to notice common factors, if they even exist, before the crash.

This is 100% nothing but a guess, but check out your cache size and try clearing it to see if that helps.

0 Kudos
ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

Esri doesn't offer technical support outside of licencing and installation for students/personal users.

The fastest way to fix this issue will be to identify when it happens i.e. doing a certain task, or after a period of use. What error message do you see, if any. Then users can suggest specific reasons why this is occurring. 

Without that here are some suggestions:

Check system requirements.

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/get-started/arcgis-pro-system-requirements.htm

If you computer does not meet the specs, or you are running other software (including additional instances of ArcGIS Pro), you will have a bad time.

Don't click while things are loading/processing

When ArcGIS Pro enters a processing state (circle spinning next to mouse) trying to create new interactions can cause it to go non-responsive. Generally ArcGIS Pro is a lot better with this than ArcMap was traditionally.

Don't use cloud storage

Students often use cloud storage. Saving ArcGIS Pro Projects and geodatabases to a cloud storage drive is a bad idea. You should save them to a local drive and copy across manually once finished, to store a backup.

This is because of the number of files that are constantly being read and written going bad with the sync process.

Anti-virus

Same reasons as cloud storage, anti-virus can interfere with the large volume of files. Mark ArcGIS Pro as a safe application.

Check temp storage / workspace geodatabases

Again should be local and accessible

Check spare space/memory on computer

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Did you follow the instructions here

Problem: ArcGIS pro Freezes on the Initializing Screen before the Sign in Dialog Box Displ (esri.com...

to get a clean reinstall?

The question is unrelated, but the procedure is correct

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
RandyKreuziger1
Occasional Contributor

Are you in the same project file each time it crashes?  I had one project file that I had to recreate from scratch because it always crashed Pro.  But this was back in Pro 2.6.something before we could upgrade.  

0 Kudos
e1riss
by
New Contributor

@e1riss wrote:

I am a new user to ArcGIS pro as I am a student using it in a GIS class. I downloaded pro on my personal PC and the application worked fine for about the first month but the last couple weeks I can't go 5 minutes without it crashing and I don't know what it could possibly be as it occurs wheteher im manipulating a mapview or creating a layout. I tried doing a clean reinstall and that hasn't worked, I have tested all of my hardware and my RAM, CPU, etc. are in perfect working order and haven't given me difficulty with other tasks like gaming. ESRI has not been very helpful with remedy options and even went as far as to say "...we don't find resolutions for Crash Outreach cases...". Thank you to anyone who can help! https://100001.onl/  

I got this,...

0 Kudos