Offline use of public ArcGIS site?

09-11-2021 04:36 PM
SarahMcNaughton
New Contributor II

Hi everyone,

I'm wondering if it might be possible to download an entire public (municipal) ArcGIS site for offline use. I'm taking time off soon and want to work on a personal project but internet will be spotty at best. Apologies in advance if I have posted in the wrong forum.

Thank you,

Sarah

ArcGIS Pro 2.8.0

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
David_Brooks
MVP Regular Contributor

@SarahMcNaughton unfortunately not. The infrastructure behind an AGOL site requires the same implementation as Portal, which is an on premise version of AGOL. so if you have a spare £$€60k knocking about then you could configure a single machine build of portal and configure it as a web server, then use agol assistant to copy the items in your org AGOL site over to your offline machines Portal site. Sledgehammer cracking a nut springs to mind though 🤣

If you're just looking to work on the data itself, then you can download the webmaps for offline use via ArcGIS Pro and then sync the deltas when you're back online? Bu my guess is that you're thinking you want to develop apps? This also creates challenges, because the developer API for Portal is more extensive, and you won't be able to port custom apps/implementations back over to AGOL.

David
..Maps with no limits..
0 Kudos
SarahMcNaughton
New Contributor II

Oh that's really too bad, I was really looking forward to some unniterrupted time with AG. Would it be possible to capture a much smaller set of data, perhaps 10 shp files?
Thanks again!

0 Kudos
David_Brooks
MVP Regular Contributor

@SarahMcNaughton downloading data from AGOL vs replicating an "organisation site" are 2 very different requests. Are you saying in your original request that you just want to be able to download the feature data that an AGOL organisation site is hosting?

To download data from AGOL, you have a few options. You could add to an ArcGIS Pro project and export features to a new shapefile/feature class. Or if the items you need to download support public  export, you could just export from the Item page:

Brooks_SummitGeo_0-1631721233144.png

David
..Maps with no limits..
0 Kudos