Model not functioning the same between two computers

Jump to solution
01-19-2022 03:02 PM
ChrisCowin
New Contributor III

Hello,

So I'm trying to help a coworker out and create a model for them that will process some tables from GPS Collars into feature classes with some light data processing. It has been incredibly frustrating getting this to work because the model I create in my PC doesn't seem to function, basically at all, on their PC. The table will be entirely null, rows will be deleted, and there are random errors that appear on hers but do not appear on mine (000539 among others). Our versions are slightly different, I'm on 2.9 and they are on 2.10, but I would be shocked if these geoprocessing things have changed.

Another oddity is on their instance of ArcGIS Pro when I go to select a field in Calculate Field it changes the name of the field by adding the name of the table before the name of the field. Say your table is called WA104_ExcelToTable and your field is called Collar_ID; when you go to select the field name in the list it will say Collar_ID but in the expression or code block it produces !WA104_ExcelToTable_Collar_ID!. Why is it doing this?

I've tried it with two different models and the same thing is happening. Here is the simpler of the two:

Process Sirtrack (Locations DB).jpg

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor
There were some sig changes from 2.8 to 2.9 under the hood of Geoprocessing, for instance there is a new atbx toolbox format, so your issue this does not surprise me. Good to know!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

A few things to consider:

• There is no 2.10 at this time (Did you mean 2.9.1?) Releases list
  • Are the environment settings different between the two machines? Workspace settings?
  • Are your path names or file names problematic? How To Name Things In ArcGIS 
  • How are you setting up intermediate data in your model? Using %scratchFolder%, %scratchGDB%, and memory workspaces can help make models more portable

Just some ideas, I hope they may help somewhat.

0 Kudos
ChrisCowin
New Contributor III
  • Sorry yes, mixed them up. Theywere on 2.9 and I was on 2.8
  • Both are the default environment settings
  • No path names werent an issue because I was going in and resetting the path names because I was working locally to test, but they needed to connect over a network drive. So even then it was still freaking out
  • I was doing most everything in memory until I had my final table that I then manipulated which I had set as a parameter so they could change it incase a workflow ever changed.

Ultimately I had them downgrade to 2.8 and everything started to work a lot better. Im not sure if that is because there was a whole reset of the environment or it actually had something to do with the versioning. Its hard for me to understand why the version difference would cause such fundamental issues in the geoprocessing tools. I assume those dont get affected with each version change.
0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor
There were some sig changes from 2.8 to 2.9 under the hood of Geoprocessing, for instance there is a new atbx toolbox format, so your issue this does not surprise me. Good to know!
0 Kudos