Will there be any redesign of ArcGIS Pro User Interface in the next 5 years?

Jump to solution
01-18-2022 06:09 AM
Labels (3)
manurohr
New Contributor

Hi,

I am new to ArcGIS Pro and am currently working as UX Designer. The software is quite powerful and astonishing what you can all achieve using this program.

However I am wondering if the UI of the software will be redesigned in the next 5 years. 

The UI looks pretty old-fashioned and the whole user experience using this software is not satisfactory (for examples, too many different tabs in same row that do not have any contextual relevance or dockpanes opening in different locations).

Therefore, I am curious about any new updates regarding UI/UX. 

Thanks for the feedback and kind regards,

Manuel

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RichardCaballero
Esri Contributor

Hi @manurohr 

You make some really good points! I am the UX lead for ArcGIS Pro and I can definitely look into this. We are not planning any major shifts in the UI, our model is to iteratively evolve and improve the user experience with each new release. 

I really appreciate your feedback, if you have any more feedback please let me know. 

Richard C. 

View solution in original post

8 Replies
BertKraan1
Occasional Contributor III

You should have seen ArcMAP, the predecessor of PRO !!

Personally I'm glad I've survived the transition from map to pro, my collegue didn't make it. (the transition that is, he is alive and well) so I'm not eager to have another UI update anytime soon.

I think the UI is a steep learning curve but once taken, Pro works well. I would rate it 8 out of 10

manurohr
New Contributor

Well, it´s now 2022 ;). 

It is not about learning everything until you can use the software well.

The point is to reduce concentration and confusion while using this software. So GIS professional or end-users can work much more efficient and have more joy using this powerful software. 

For example, maps are often covered with many panes which makes it harder for users to have a good overview (confirmed by customers in user research).

Or in order to create a certain map with some data, you have to interact a lot with different ribbons on different locations, with hidden tabs, also with dock panes on the left and right side. 

I am trying to say that it is very possible to reduce unnecessary interactions by 50 % at least thanks to good UI. This saves time and reduces the costs. 

My job is to make the work for GIS professionals and end-users easier. 😉 

It only works if the users are also open-minded about changes while knowing that a new update of UI could impact their work time in a positive way. Otherwise, the software from UX/UI-perspective will be still stuck in 2000 for the next 10 years while implemented features are always up to date. 

0 Kudos
alex_friant
Occasional Contributor II

I like the UI layout. I can customize the top things I use to always be available and I'm always learning where new things are. 

One wish would be to be able to "dock" a ribbon so it's always available, preventing me from having to jump back and forth between ribbons.

Another wish is that the when context changes that the automatic ribbon switch happened much quicker, so more a UX thing. As it is now, it takes like a second and I feel like I'm sitting there waiting for the software to catch up to my mind/what I want to do next. 

0 Kudos
BertKraan1
Occasional Contributor III

Seems like you should send them your resumé:

https://www.esri.com/en-us/about/careers/working-esri

DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

sounds like this should be in ArcGIS Ideas - Esri Community

... sort of retired...
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

In the "before" times at the 2019 and 2020 Esri Federal GIS Conference, Karl Frantz (Esri) would invite attendees to participate in moderated usability studies to assist the ArcGIS Pro User Experience and Design Team.  Perhaps reach out to Karl directly to describe your experiences and what you'd like to see differently in the UI.  

RichardCaballero
Esri Contributor

Hi @manurohr 

You make some really good points! I am the UX lead for ArcGIS Pro and I can definitely look into this. We are not planning any major shifts in the UI, our model is to iteratively evolve and improve the user experience with each new release. 

I really appreciate your feedback, if you have any more feedback please let me know. 

Richard C. 

RichardCaballero
Esri Contributor

Our team is growing if anyone knows a UX Designer that has some background in GIS!

https://www.esri.com/careers/ux-designer-arcgis-pro-13953

0 Kudos