Merge Tool

Jump to solution
12-09-2020 11:30 AM
Labels (3)
ElizabethWheeler
New Contributor III

I am attempting to merge 50 multi-part polygon layers to one layer. All layers have the same 8 fields. 
I want a polygon layer whose attribute table has only those 8 fields and maintains the original data. I will eventually use this a web layer.

Using the Merge tool, I get a polygon  layer whose attribute table has 400 fields and a lot of null cells.

Am I choosing the wrong tool? Please assist. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobertKacir
New Contributor II

The merge tool should be the correct tool. If you are getting 400 fields out of the merge this suggests there might be minor differences between the different fields in your inputs. That might be leading to your errors. check the field map at the bottom of the tool dialog before you run the tool. If everything is configured correctly, you should see 50 source layers for each field in the field map.

RobertKacir_0-1607543006370.png

If you are still having trouble you can make a copy of one of the 50 layers and use the append tool to combine the data. It also might be good to try and combine the layers in smaller groups rather than 50 at the same time. It might help you find the root cause.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
RobertKacir
New Contributor II

The merge tool should be the correct tool. If you are getting 400 fields out of the merge this suggests there might be minor differences between the different fields in your inputs. That might be leading to your errors. check the field map at the bottom of the tool dialog before you run the tool. If everything is configured correctly, you should see 50 source layers for each field in the field map.

RobertKacir_0-1607543006370.png

If you are still having trouble you can make a copy of one of the 50 layers and use the append tool to combine the data. It also might be good to try and combine the layers in smaller groups rather than 50 at the same time. It might help you find the root cause.

ElizabethWheeler
New Contributor III

Thanks a lot Robert. I worked in batches and the issue is as you said. 

0 Kudos