Select to view content in your preferred language

Map Series- clip to index feature greyed out

Jump to solution
07-03-2024 07:43 AM
edward33
New Contributor III

I am creating a map series where each map contains a different point in the layer- some of the points are quite close to each other so I want to show only the point I am highlighting on each map. Like in the image below I would like it to show just the pink point not also the blue one. Another post I saw suggested clicking 'Clip to index feature' but this option is greyed out for me.

edward33_0-1720017521076.png

edward33_1-1720017563579.png

I would usually just script a layout based on some definition queries but it seems the only way to add a dynamic image is if you use a spatial map series- so if there is another way to do that I would look at that option too!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AubriKinghorn
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi! Clip to index feature is not available for a point index feature, because you can't clip a 2D map frame to a 1D point. However, there is a way to get the result you want!

A page query should do the trick.

For any layer in a map series you can have a page query. This will let you show only the features that match or don't match the map series page name. For your case, you can set the page query on your points to match the map series page name and then only one point will show. 

AubriKinghorn_0-1720027563455.png

Cheers,
Aubri

View solution in original post

2 Replies
AubriKinghorn
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi! Clip to index feature is not available for a point index feature, because you can't clip a 2D map frame to a 1D point. However, there is a way to get the result you want!

A page query should do the trick.

For any layer in a map series you can have a page query. This will let you show only the features that match or don't match the map series page name. For your case, you can set the page query on your points to match the map series page name and then only one point will show. 

AubriKinghorn_0-1720027563455.png

Cheers,
Aubri
edward33
New Contributor III

This is great thanks! I didn't understand the page queries before, but you explained it so well 

0 Kudos