Loss of transparency with service in ArcGIS Pro

09-30-2021 07:17 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

We use a publicly available map service (see below) with a 70% transparency in our maps in ArcGIS Pro (2.7.2).

In ArcGIS Pro the transparency for the service works, but sometimes the transparency will be lost and will draw at 0% transparency even though a transparency for the layer is still set to 70%. 

It is very inconsistent and I can't find a pattern. It seems to happen more often when there are other layers in the map. I can't get this to happen when the service is the only layer in the map. So, I am coming here to see if anyone else has experienced this issue?

Below is the service we use and the steps we use to add it to a map in ArcGIS Pro.

https://elevation.its.ny.gov/arcgis/rest/services/NYS_Statewide_Hillshade/MapServer

1. In a map in ArcGIS Pro>Add Data drop down> Add from PATH/URL
  2. Add the URL above
  3. Select the Group layer: NYS_Statewide_Hillshade
  4. Open the Layer/Appearance tab in ribbon
  5. Set Transparency to 70%

Supriya_SH_0-1633011401228.png

Thanks in advance!

Supriya

0 Kudos
10 Replies
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

@Anonymous User 

Hello.  Quick question, are you setting the transparency in your web map or in the service before publishing?

Amanda Bishop, GISP
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

We don't publish the service. Its offered by the state and a public service for local organizations to use. It doesn't appear to have any transparency set on it before publishing.

0 Kudos
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

So... you are setting the transparency in your web map and then sharing it?  I am confused on the workflow process or output you are trying to accomplish.

Amanda Bishop, GISP
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

We use the service as a layer in our map in ArcGIS Pro. Similar to how you might add a hosted feature layer from ArcGIS Living Atlas into a map in ArcGIS Pro.

So basically we consume the service in the map in ArcGIS Pro. We aren't sharing or creating any web maps. 

0 Kudos
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

I see... so you just need to be able to view it in ArcGIS Pro with the transparency!

Amanda Bishop, GISP
0 Kudos
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

Does this occur with any other services you are consuming in ArcGIS Pro?

Amanda Bishop, GISP
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I am not sure. We do consume other services in ArcGIS Pro, but they don't usually have a transparency.

0 Kudos
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

I would test it with other services.  Also search for known bugs in ArcGIS Pro 2.7.2 here: https://support.esri.com/en/Search-Results#search?q=arcgis-pro&content-type=Bugs 

Amanda Bishop, GISP
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I captured a fiddler trace when the transparency was lost. It appears the request has transparent = true, but the return doesn't have the transparency.

Supriya_SH_0-1633612726120.png

0 Kudos