Locate Addresses with Units

07-22-2019 01:18 PM
BryanLynn1
New Contributor III

I have created a locator using the Point Address Role. The locator works but it will not locate or provide candidates for addresses that contain units. For example: 606 Main St will work but 606 Main St Suite 150 will not. This is a big problem when all of the addresses on a parcel have unit addresses. For example: 10001 Kingston Pike only exists with units (e.g. Suite 100 - 150) and since all the address points have unit values it will not show up in the candidates list.

0 Kudos
68 Replies
BryanLynn1
New Contributor III

I agree with Dan, I would expect the more you type the fewer candidates you see.

I don't know who Dan works for but he seems to be in the same situation that we are. We really only need to search addresses across a few counties. 90% of the time we are only looking in one county and don't even use city, state, and zip values. We do have some situations where we need to find addresses across a utility district that may cover portions of several counties but I still don't see that as a problem. The existing tool handles addresses across the entire world, so addresses with subunits across 8 counties shouldn't be a big deal.

No, I don't expect to scroll through 1000s of subunit addresses. I think this is a bad idea from both a performance and UI standpoint. We do have some locations with lots of subunits but most of the time it is a fairly short list.

I had not considered the "100 Main St, My City, My State, Zip (150 units)" idea but it is a thought. And if I could click it and see the 150 units that would be handy. However, if you have to click it to simply see 2, 3, or 10 units it becomes more cumbersome than useful.

I know this video doesn't come from an address locator but it does show some examples of subunits in our data set. Well, the video upload service isn't working right now so I will just include a link to the video: https://www.kgis.org/portal/portals/0/videos/misc/addresssubunits.mp4 

Thanks for looking into this and I feel sure you guys will come up with something that works.

Bryan

0 Kudos
PrestonDallas1
New Contributor II

Thanks for this thread.  I am having the exact same issue on ArcGIS Pro 2.5 with the Create Locator tool.  I know for us, having sub addresses appear in the suggestions would be beneficial.  I don't see the point of having 100 suggestions as mentioned above but I would think it would act just like searching a typical address.  The more you type, the less suggestions you receive.  We use our locator for our work order system.  Without the correct Apt, Unit, Suite, etc. we would not be able to correctly track work order history.  We also use the locator to tie various permits to an address.

Thanks,

Preston Dallas

ScottFedak2085
Occasional Contributor

Hello,

Has there been any update on unit suggestions since discussion ended mid last year? I'm currently using PRO 2.8.3 and the suggestion behavior that has been discussed appears to be largely the same as when this thread was originally posted.

I would agree with what has been said by others in this thread about units showing up in suggestions when the base address is typed. If you know the exact address with suffix, unit, etc. the locators and suggestions work great, but I feel like that falls well within the FindAddressCandidates operation when utilizing a published service or the valid returned candidates when hitting enter with a locator in PRO. I think when utilizing suggestions, a typical user is relying on it because they do not potentially know the full address. That is why, as many people in this thread have mentioned, it would be useful to most end-users to have units show up as suggestions when a base address is supplied (i.e. 600 MAIN). The user also would not be bombarded by 1000's of possibilities because the viewable suggestions would be limited by the Default and Maximum number set in the locators properties. I think it is also intuitive to most users these days that their results will be more applicable as they supply more information in any search bar (e.g. 600 MAIN vs 600 W MAIN, or 600 W MAIN vs 600 W MAIN CHICAGO, ILLINOIS).

We use house address suffixes as well to denote things like duplexes, so similar functionality with that would be great if possible too. Even when a suffix is concatenated into a single field with the address number as recommended (https://desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcmap/latest/manage-data/geocoding/commonly-used-address-locator-styl...) for Single-House w/ Subaddress, you have to know that an A or B suffix exists to have it show up as a suggestion or result. Again, I feel like the typical use case scenario for suggestions is:

1) They get you to a potential valid result quicker than typing out an entire address or portions of address and hitting enter to see a list of valid candidates.

2) They provide potential addresses and sub-addresses that a user may not know exist

Thanks,

~Scott

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Hey guys-  check out a suggestion of mine:  https://community.esri.com/ideas/17064   It's in the product plan....

That should just about do it....
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

In Joe Borgione's link for his GeoNet idea - Provide Units in Suggested Addresses - this was implemented in AGP 2.6 according to Kory Kramer.

DanMcCoy1
New Contributor III

Just to clarify... unfortunately, this has not been fixed yet.....

From Brad:

At Pro 2.6 we added support for suggestions for subaddresses but there is a requirement to enter the entire unit number for the suggestion to show....I am not saying we wont consider the enhancement for partial unit suggestions for a future release, I am just saying this isn't part of the Pro 2.6 release.

JeffLegato1
Occasional Contributor

This is still be an issue.  Pro 2.7.1

0 Kudos
AnnaStam
New Contributor III

Pro 2.8 was recently released and it looks like this is still an issue. I am trying to transition entirely from address locators created in ArcMap to Pro locators, but I unfortunately can't do that until the unit problem has been fixed. @Robert_LeClair do you know when this will be implemented? I'm subscribed to @JoeBorgione 's enhancement request but I haven't seen any updates.

JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

@AnnaStam  I'm not aware that this has been fixed, and I'm using 2.7.2....

@BradNiemand  or @ShanaBritt , any comments on this?

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
BradNiemand
Esri Regular Contributor

At this time locators created with the Create Locator tool support suggestions for subaddresses when the entire unit is entered.  Going forward we are looking into supporting suggestions for subaddresses when a partial subaddress is entered.  It may require the user to enter #, apt, unit, or some type of unit type prior to showing suggestions but the team is looking to support this in an upcoming release of Pro.

Brad

0 Kudos