Limited options in 'Format All Symbols'

10-31-2019 01:33 PM
DanielMatranga
New Contributor III

When I have a point layer that I'd like to change from a circle to a square symbol, I'm unable to change it to a square by performing the same steps that I would normally do in ArcMap.

For instance, here are my workflow steps:

1. Select a layer in Table of Contents
  2. Symbology Pane > layer is already symbolized and configured as a circle, and colored by Unique Values
  3. So I select all the symbols > right-click > Format Symbols

1. Except I'm disappointed to see a limited set of options when formatting multiple symbols.

Kory Kramer‌ This has been a frustrating missing feature for several years now. What do you think is the most efficient way to change the symbol type for a point layer, without losing the other formatting (colors, outline weights, etc.) I've specified for multiple symbols within a single layer?

9 Replies
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

This is being tracked over here:https://community.esri.com/ideas/16042 

DanielMatranga
New Contributor III

Thanks Kory, voted up!

ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

This was reported as BUG-000108431 When formatting all symbols, the buttons to modify symbol layers and symbol structure are missing from the Symbology format pane when the feature layer uses graduated colors with more than one class and was closed as "Not in Product Plan" with "When more than one symbol is selected, you can only access the basic properties of the symbols. Addressing this limitation is under consideration for a future release" but now shows as In Product Plan. 

KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator
JessicaJThompson
Occasional Contributor II

When I click on the link ( BUG-000108431: When formatting all symbols, the buttons to modify s.. (esri.com) ) it says its fixed in version 2.7. I have 2.7.1 and I cannot format unique values for all features - like offset or additional symbology options available when selecting one value at a time. For certain projects I need to see each polygon - so being able to offset where many have overlapping segments would be helpful. Doing it individually for over 100+ polygons would be too time consuming. Am I missing something? 

DavidWheelock2

@KoryKramer, the bug referenced above now indicates that this has been implemented, but it has not.  I, too, am using the latest update 2.7.2.  Would you check on this issue and let us know what's going on?

For example:

When using ArcMap, if I select Properties for All Symbols, I can set ALL of the potential properties of a line, or other feature type.  Here, I have set properties to Cartographic Line Symbol and selected Offset.

DavidWheelock2_0-1616098041561.png

However, in Pro, today at 2.7.2, if I select Format all symbols, the ONLY thing I can adjust is line color and width.  There's just no comparison.  This is an important feature.

DavidWheelock2_1-1616098407242.png

@ThomasColson, what are your opinions?

@DanielMatranga, have the latest updates addressed your concerns or are you still missing features?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
DavidWheelock2

@KoryKramer, the issue here may be that Daniel's example was for points and he only gave one screenshot.  This applies to all of the feature types, points, lines and polygons and all of the symbology settings, Symbol, Layers and Structure.  That's what's required for ArcMap equivalence here.

This is still a major issue.  Because of this issue, I spent a few hours the other day creating a legend in Pro that would have only taken a 15 minutes in ArcMap.  I should have just created the symbology in ArcMap and imported to Pro with a LYR file, which is my normal workaround for this issue.

Do you need more screenshot examples here, or is this sufficient?

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Hi David.  That is one of the more common use cases and it was implemented in ArcGIS Pro 2.7.  I believe what you're talking about is related to your idea that is In Product Plan (for 2.8) https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-pro-ideas/arcgis-pro-enable-quot-add-all-values-quot-to-use-for...

You would be able to set the symbol properties and then when you add all values the set properties will be respected.

0 Kudos
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

So when I submitted this bug, it was specifically for that this feature was only available on lines and polygons, but not points, so we may be splitting hairs on the exact text of the bug and davids example. 

0 Kudos