Select to view content in your preferred language

Layout ruler resolution

Jump to solution
08-08-2022 05:45 PM
CaitlinBernier1
New Contributor II

Is there a way to set the interval of the rulers like you could in ArcMap?  In ArcGIS Pro, the further zoomed in, the more tic marks on the rulers which may seem better, but it is difficult to see. In ArcMap, there was a setting for the interval of the rulers. If more intervals were needed, the setting could be changed.  In Pro, there does not appear such a setting.  The use case is this: in the legend of a map, there are descriptions of variable length.  Between descriptions, there should be a consistent gap.  In ArcMap, the rulers could be set to 0.1 inches and the guides were easy to see and set consistently.  In Pro, the additional dozens of tick marks make it difficult to make the guides a consistent gap.  If there is no way to do this, please consider it for a future release.  

16 Replies
Aaron_King
New Contributor III

Thanks for the reply Tom, happy to engage on this topic. I promise not to send any more responses after this one, since we both have work to do.

I am aware of that capability. However, this requires opening the properties of each element in a map separately. That is inefficient. The setting placement values in properties thing sounds like a solution in theory, but realistically, you have to go about opening a half dozen (probably more) different element properties and type in the required spacing. You'll type that in, then look at it and think, "nah, that's not it, needs to move a bit left, donnit, wat?", and then open the properties again and guess again. And maybe that's fine if you are only making a few maps, but I make hundreds of maps every year, with many elements in each map, and things need to be consistent and efficient. 

The facility of simply placing guides quickly and accurately, so that many elements can be aligned to those guides, without "precision mousing" when making a map, resulting in consistent spacing (and those elements can then be grabbed and moved in unison to a new guide if needed) is far more efficient.

The problem right now is that we cannot place the guides themselves efficiently because of the lack of ability to set the increments of the ruler. So we have to very carefully mouse each guide into place, and the chances that one of the 10 or 15 guides I place is going to be off by a few hundredths of an inch hovers right around 80%. And since its a variable scale on the ruler depending on how zoomed in to the layout you are when placing the guides, you cannot get the same offset from an edge, or an element, unless you are careful to maintain the same zoom level, and even then, since the increments are tiny, you have to mouse very carefully - which takes time and increases the odds of a mistake.

Consistency in the spacing of elements and offsets results in less mental work for the reader. If they are seeing that the spacing between my layout edge and my legend are not the same as the space between the layout edge and the other elements, it introduces yet another variable for them to think about that has nothing to do with the content of the map. It means that my end product is less effective. So, to efficiently produce effective maps, we need a way to quickly, consistently, and without excessive clicking or precision mousing, place guides. If my guides are set to an increment of 1/16th of an inch, it requires very little hunching over and squinting to get my guide to land right where I want it. If they are set to 1/8 inch, its cake. When they are varying from 0.165 inches to 0.0538 inches or whatever, it gives me brain hemorrhoids.

I'd love to see this fixed. It was in ARCMap, and the loss has impacted my productivity.

All the best,

BarryNorthey
Occasional Contributor III

In the meantime can you not specify exactly where you want Guides to be placed without visually mousing using Add Guides?

For example, I want a vertical Guide placed at exactly 3 1/16 inches (3.0625 inches).

BarryNorthey_0-1674161402915.png

0 Kudos
Sean_Wray
Occasional Contributor

Yes you can do this, HOWEVER, it is so much easier and faster to be able to click on the ruler when looking visually at the tic marks. Doing it visually one does not have to know and numeric value at all. Being able to set ruler increments at 1/4 or 1/8 or 1/16 and then just clicking is 1000% faster than any other way.

Aaron_King
New Contributor III

Sorry to reply so long after the post. I just happened to see this. Of course you can do as you mentioned and manually specify the spacing of a guide or even a set of guides by typing in the location or offset in that dialog box. That is a useful function for certain applications. To be clear, I did not post my original post because I did not know how to place a guide. I was posting it because the efficiency and effectiveness of being able to set the ruler increment, as we could do in ARC Map, was not implemented in ARCPro, and I think that is a mistake.

0 Kudos
Brian_Wilson
Regular Contributor II

In 3.2.2 there is no "Add Guides" option. It's called "Add Multiple Guides" I think it's called "Add Guides" in 3.3?

Screenshot 2024-05-02 152116.png

0 Kudos
BarryNorthey
Occasional Contributor III

You are correct. I posted a screen shot of what you see when Add Multiple Guides is clicked.

0 Kudos
CaitlinBernier1
New Contributor II

Hi BarryNorthey,

That doesn't work when the location of the spacing changes for every text box.  My need is for a geologic map plate that has a box and variable length description of the rock type in the legend.  I need the spacing between descriptions to be the same but the length of the description changes every time so there is no set location for the next legend entry. The way it worked in ArcMap was much more efficient. 

Thank you,

Caitlin