Label formatting issues

Jump to solution
09-30-2018 04:43 PM
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Labels using Python (not interested in Arcade)

Issue 1:  Ok... times change so the field... !OBJECTID! is now [OBJECTID] when using python and migrating from ArcMap to ArcGIS Pro.  Being a 'whatever' kind of guy when it comes to software changes, I can live with this (sort of). That was an esri decision on how they want to delimit 'fields'.

Issue 2:  I do draw the at changing how the chosen label language is treated.

Python 3.6/7 has some very useful format options, that enable you to produce output as string(text) without have to do type conversion.  For example... notice, an integer was automagically formatted to a string and you can do 'math' with the integer

# ---- python ----

objectid = 1

"id {} -> {}".format(objectid, objectid-1)

'id 1 -> 0'

# ---- as expected ----

However... Things are not as expected when using label formatting, as above, with python.

Must have made a mistake....

ok... ! ! is now [ ]

spelling correct

format string is fine

error message makes no sense

Now... what you have to do is

int the string, that is actually an int so you can string it

With me?

The whole utility of allowing for format language options is good.  However, I expect the language rules to be respected.

So the question

Is this a bug?

If it isn't a bug, can someone explain the logic?

I am not interested in the other language options, or a different labelling engine.

Just plain simple labels, that would be great, respecting the way that this should work.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WendyHarrison
Esri Contributor

Hi all,

This is how labeling has always worked.  The value is cast to a string so you need to convert it to a numeric data type for comparisons or math equations.  Both Standard and Maplex label engines work this way.  Three parsers - VBScript, Python and JScript - work this way.  Arcade in Pro works differently and field values maintain their data types.

you can see the doc here

Pro:  Specify text for labels—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

ArcMap:  Building label expressions—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

Field values are automatically cast to text strings. Therefore, if you want to use a numeric value in an arithmetic operation or when making a comparison, you will need to cast it back to a numeric data type.

Note:

When using Arcade, the field values maintain their data type.

The following examples add two integer fields:

Arcade

$feature.FIELD1 + $feature.FIELD2

Python

int([FIELD1]) + int([FIELD2])

VBScript

cint([FIELD1]) + cint([FIELD2])

JScript

parseInt([FIELD1]) + parseInt([FIELD2])

View solution in original post

10 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Kory Kramer‌ … is this related to 2.2.2?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

https://community.esri.com/docs/DOC-11254-holistic-testing-schedule-for-2017 

2.3 scheduled to be tested this week... can someone check on that version

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Dan:

Is the Holistic Testing Schedule that you show, testing of the Beta software that can be done by ESRI customers if they sign up some where?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

It hasn't been announced, or I am not on the 'beta list' anymore.  It is in-house for esri staff in Redlands.  Just thought Kory might see this

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Dan Patterson‌ and Michael Volz‌.  Public holistic sessions are periodically organized and if you're interested in getting an invite I'll let the holistic lab manager know.  I can also make sure that you're both on the invite list to participate in the ArcGIS Pro beta testing.  If interested, confirm by emailing me at kkramer@esri.com with your preferred email address and contact info.  

Thanks to both!

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Wendy Harrison‌ can you take a look at this one please?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
WendyHarrison
Esri Contributor

Hi all,

This is how labeling has always worked.  The value is cast to a string so you need to convert it to a numeric data type for comparisons or math equations.  Both Standard and Maplex label engines work this way.  Three parsers - VBScript, Python and JScript - work this way.  Arcade in Pro works differently and field values maintain their data types.

you can see the doc here

Pro:  Specify text for labels—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

ArcMap:  Building label expressions—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

Field values are automatically cast to text strings. Therefore, if you want to use a numeric value in an arithmetic operation or when making a comparison, you will need to cast it back to a numeric data type.

Note:

When using Arcade, the field values maintain their data type.

The following examples add two integer fields:

Arcade

$feature.FIELD1 + $feature.FIELD2

Python

int([FIELD1]) + int([FIELD2])

VBScript

cint([FIELD1]) + cint([FIELD2])

JScript

parseInt([FIELD1]) + parseInt([FIELD2])
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Wendy... first time I had to label a map (believe it or not), hence, when I saw 'Python' I expected python not python-ish.

That makes for some unnecessary conversions when you need to do anything other than a simple label (my example was a simplified version of what I needed, and it required 4 type conversions)

This is too small for an idea, but it would be nice if the object conversion to text be removed or provide more documentation on the labeling tool itself.

Arcade = Avenue  (sorry... no more proprietary 'languages' for me

Thanks for looking into this, I will just stick to not making maps.

this is more elegant

"{} {} {}".format('a', 1, [1,2,3])
0 Kudos
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

It would make more sense (IMHO) if the parsing to a string would happen at the end as with Arcade. And not to the parameters passed to the labeling function. 

Dan Patterson‌, you can fight it but eventually you may end up using Arcade for some things... 

0 Kudos