Is ArcGIS Pro independent from Velocity/Enterprise?

Jump to solution
12-12-2021 03:32 AM
Barbara_Araujo
New Contributor III

Hello,

as an university student I have only worked with ArcMap and Pro. Recently I've been tasked with finding some big data solutions using GIS and have been having trouble understanding how this wider array of Esri products relate to each other.

More specifically, I am interested in the Track and Traceability tool. The requirements mention ArcGIS Pro (deployment) and either Online or Enterprise (hosting). I am new to the world of GIS and unfamiliar with these terms. After watching a number of videos, I was under the impression that Pro, Online and Enterprise were standalone entities, yet these requirements now led me to believe I need both Pro AND Online/Enterprise.

Can anyone please explain the relationship between these products? Is Pro some sort of base for all?

Thanks you in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Regarding your question:

The underlying question I would need answered is - Can I work with ArcGIS Enterprise without having an ArcGIS Pro license?

Absolutely yes, you can work with ArcGIS Enterprise and have no ArcGIS Pro license.  Although there are differences, ArcGIS Enterprise portal is like having an on-premises ArcGIS Online.  Just like ArcGIS Pro can work with ArcGIS Online, ArcGIS Pro can work with ArcGIS Enterprise; but just like you don't need an ArcGIS Pro licenses to login and use ArcGIS Online, you don't need an ArcGIS Pro license to login and use ArcGIS Enterprise.

Although you can use ArcGIS Enterprise without an ArcGIS Pro license, a lot of people like having the full functionality of a desktop client to work with their data that is in ArcGIS Enterprise.  ArcGIS Pro offers a lot of functionality for working with data that isn't available through ArcGIS Enterprise APIs.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Barbara_Araujo
New Contributor III

Hello Dan,

thank you again for helping me and I'm sorry for joining the multitude of people who ask things that have been asked a thousand times before. I don't know how I missed these posts.

The underlying question I would need answered is - Can I work with ArcGIS Enterprise without having an ArcGIS Pro license? 

I have read a bit on what each of them offers, and I am sure a more experienced user would have this question answered with this information, but I am a mere Environmental Sciences student with no background in this area. Without access to the products I lack the theoretical knowledge to picture how they work together. I have used AGOL before, so I know that with it I can work with spacial data without Pro. I don't know if that's the case for Enterprise  or if this product simply connects a myriad of Pro licenses into a single organisational umbrella.

With the links you sent me and a bit more of googling (i. e. "In an ArcGIS Enterprise portal, ArcGIS Pro licenses are assigned to members in the same way as in an ArcGIS Online organization." - source), I am inclined to understand I need Pro licenses along with Enterprise. But I got no definitive "yes" or "no" so far.

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Regarding your question:

Absolutely yes, you can work with ArcGIS Enterprise and have no ArcGIS Pro license.  Although there are differences, ArcGIS Enterprise portal is like having an on-premises ArcGIS Online.  Just like ArcGIS Pro can work with ArcGIS Online, ArcGIS Pro can work with ArcGIS Enterprise; but just like you don't need an ArcGIS Pro licenses to login and use ArcGIS Online, you don't need an ArcGIS Pro license to login and use ArcGIS Enterprise.

Although you can use ArcGIS Enterprise without an ArcGIS Pro license, a lot of people like having the full functionality of a desktop client to work with their data that is in ArcGIS Enterprise.  ArcGIS Pro offers a lot of functionality for working with data that isn't available through ArcGIS Enterprise APIs.

Barbara_Araujo
New Contributor III

Thank you so much, Joshua! I think I finally understand the relationship between the products!

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If you are with an educational organization, I suggest that you contact your regional esri rep.  Universities, colleges etc etc get an education license that covers the needs of large institutions.  "portals" are normally run through the library and many have trained librarians that manage the geospatial side of things.

If you are with a private company.... never mind, none of the above applies

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
Barbara_Araujo
New Contributor III

Thank you, Dan! I am an university student but this task regards a private company.

0 Kudos