Install ArcGIS Pro with a 32 bit Desktop license

Jump to solution
07-07-2020 10:25 AM
ZacharyUhlmann
New Contributor III

Hi,

I am installing ArcGIS Pro onto my computer.  This is a work computer with multiple users but I have the permissions necessary to install where I want.  I am trying to follow these instructions: Download, install, and authorize—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation specifically to the file path C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro.  However this is failing.  My ArcGIS Desktop which enables my Pro license is a 32 bit and installed in C:\Program Files(86)\ArcGIS\Desktop10.6.  So there was NO C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro path.  I created and empty folder path and tried installing there, to no avail.  Does it matter where I install it?  The recommended path by the installer executable is C:\Users\<myusername>\Documents\ArcGIS Pro 2.5.  I would prefer to install for all users.  Any ideas how to achieve this?

Thanks!

Zach

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

As the Esri documentation states: Download, install, and authorize—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

Install

ArcGIS Pro can be installed as a per-machine installation or as a per-user installation. A per-machine installation allows all users on the machine to use ArcGIS Pro. A per-user installation allows only the installer to use ArcGIS Pro.

Assuming you are not doing a silent/unattended installation, the installer will ask whether you want to install Pro for the current user or all users.  If you choose all users, then you will get prompted for elevated credentials to install it.  If you can't get elevated credentials, then it will default to install to current user.  For nearly all 64-bit Windows programs, all users defaults to C:\Program Files and current user defaults to C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Programs.

If the installer is suggesting C:\Users\<username>\Documents as the install location, something isn't right on the machine because installing a program into the documents folder is odd and likely problematic in the long run.

There are so many dots I can't yet connect on this thread, so I will just leave a couple parting thoughts/comments:

• ArcGIS Desktop/ArcMap and ArcGIS Pro licensing are completely independent of each other.
  • ArcGIS Desktop/ArcMap and ArcGIS Pro are completely independent of each other from a software perspective, i.e., no part of one uses any part of the other even if both are installed.
  • ArcGIS Pro supports Per-Machine (C:\Program Files) and Per-User (C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Programs).  Per-Machine installation requires elevated/admin permissions on the machine.
  • Whether ArcGIS Desktop/ArcMap or ArcGIS Pro, none of the installation folders need to exist ahead of time, the installer will create the folders.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
AmnoyAm
Esri Regular Contributor

Zachary,

ArcGIS Pro is 64-bit application and requires a 64-bit operating system.  See the supported operation system section  in the following system requirement:

ArcGIS Pro 2.5 system requirements—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Regarding:

My ArcGIS Desktop which enables my Pro license is a 32 bit and installed in C:\Program Files(86)\ArcGIS\Desktop10.6. 

The licensing mechanisms for ArcGIS Desktop/ArcMap and ArcGIS Pro are completely independent of each other, i.e., you can't have Pro use a license for ArcMap.

What licensing is your organization using?  Concurrent-Use, Single-Use, Named-User?

0 Kudos
ZacharyUhlmann
New Contributor III

Thanks Joshua.  I am under a Named-User account...pretty sure.  Downloading was not an issue, the only reason I mentioned that my license originated from an 32 bit Arc Desktop license (10.6) is just to illustrate that the file path in that situation paralleled what I wanted for my Arc Pro - C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro - which is what the ESRI instructions suggested.  I just couldn't get it to work.  I ultimately took the path of least resistance (on the front end at least, who knows what the future entails...) and installed in Users\<username>\Documents\ArcGIS Pro 2.5 that was the default for the installer.  Apparently that's where I also installed my 64 bit Background Geoprocessing a couple months back.  If this seems foolish I would certainly appreciate advice, I just couldn't install in the Program Files directory as was desired.

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

As the Esri documentation states: Download, install, and authorize—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

Install

ArcGIS Pro can be installed as a per-machine installation or as a per-user installation. A per-machine installation allows all users on the machine to use ArcGIS Pro. A per-user installation allows only the installer to use ArcGIS Pro.

Assuming you are not doing a silent/unattended installation, the installer will ask whether you want to install Pro for the current user or all users.  If you choose all users, then you will get prompted for elevated credentials to install it.  If you can't get elevated credentials, then it will default to install to current user.  For nearly all 64-bit Windows programs, all users defaults to C:\Program Files and current user defaults to C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Programs.

If the installer is suggesting C:\Users\<username>\Documents as the install location, something isn't right on the machine because installing a program into the documents folder is odd and likely problematic in the long run.

There are so many dots I can't yet connect on this thread, so I will just leave a couple parting thoughts/comments:

• ArcGIS Desktop/ArcMap and ArcGIS Pro licensing are completely independent of each other.
  • ArcGIS Desktop/ArcMap and ArcGIS Pro are completely independent of each other from a software perspective, i.e., no part of one uses any part of the other even if both are installed.
  • ArcGIS Pro supports Per-Machine (C:\Program Files) and Per-User (C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Programs).  Per-Machine installation requires elevated/admin permissions on the machine.
  • Whether ArcGIS Desktop/ArcMap or ArcGIS Pro, none of the installation folders need to exist ahead of time, the installer will create the folders.
ZacharyUhlmann
New Contributor III

Not quite resolved yet, but I went with the default installation location as suggested by the installer:

C:\Users\<username>\Documents\ArcGIS Pro 2.5

Maybe not the best protocol, but as I responded to Joshua it's the path of least resistance.  I did however find a nice Post from a reputable user who suggested a similar route - in the C drive that is:

https://community.esri.com/thread/193773-cannot-open-file-for-writing-during-arcgis-pro-installation 

0 Kudos
LaureneKoman
Occasional Contributor III

There are a few parts to the "installation", it sounds like the part you are explaining is the download and then running the self extracting exe.  This part basically unzips the installation files locally and then the setup program will start once the files are extracted.  The default for the extraction is your documents folder as described.  From there, the setup program (setup.msi where you extracted the files) will launch. During that installation, you'll have the option to install for All Users or the Current User.  When you select All users, the default installation location will be C:\Program Files\.

Thanks

Laurene Koman

JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Great point Laurene, the files do get unpacked before the installation even starts, so maybe the OP never actually tried to install the product.

0 Kudos
ZacharyUhlmann
New Contributor III

Laurene Koman‌ you and Joshua Bixby‌ are absolutely correct.  My apologies for the confusing question framing.  I included the bit about my 32 bit Arc Desktop installation paths simply as an example of how I wanted my Arc Pro paths to be installed.  So as you both point out the C...\Documents path is simply for the installer unzip.  THEN I am able to decide whether program will be for All Users or Myself (paraphrasing).  Choosing Myself will got to ...\Users\<username>\AppData\Local whereas All Users installs to the path I desired - C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro.  YES!  You both are geniuses.  Thanks.

0 Kudos