Select to view content in your preferred language

How to draw different outlines next to each other?

Jump to solution
03-29-2023 07:46 AM
jbcypreste
New Contributor III

Hello! I have polygon layer whose outlines I need displayed in a specific way.

jbcypreste_0-1680100850456.png

I want different colors for the outlines, because I have polygon layers below it that are also colored.

But as the layer draws, certain polygons appear over others. In the image above, the yellow polygon border appears on top of the cyan one.

What I want to do is have BOTH polygon outines displayed at the same time. For example, where the cyan polygon borders the blue one, I want a 6 pt ouline that is 3 pt yellow and 3 pt cyan, on their respective side.

I have tried using different settings in the symbol layer drawing options, but it won't let me place all polygons in the same level.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LindaWilliams1
Occasional Contributor

I figured out a way to do the offset for all symbols (since I have 35 polygons in my map), but you first need to save the format as a style. Select one of the polygon symbols and format it individually with the width and offset that look best, and then save this to a style. Then go to "format all symbols" and select the new style from the Gallery tab. This will display all of your boundaries in the same color, so then go to the settings wheel next to your selected Color Scheme and select either "apply to outline" or "apply to fill and outline". This will apply the style in the selected color scheme. Alternatively you could click on each of your symbols and change the outline color individually now that the style is set.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
LindaWilliams1
Occasional Contributor

Have you tried using a negative Offset in the Format Polygon Symbol>Properties>Layers menu? The negative offset will draw the boundary color just a bit inside the actual boundary, so the different color boundaries of adjacent polygons will not overlap.

jbcypreste
New Contributor III

Yes, that's what I've been doing. Good thing I only have to format 3 polygons, because I can't edit these properties with the "format all symbols" option.

0 Kudos
LindaWilliams1
Occasional Contributor

I figured out a way to do the offset for all symbols (since I have 35 polygons in my map), but you first need to save the format as a style. Select one of the polygon symbols and format it individually with the width and offset that look best, and then save this to a style. Then go to "format all symbols" and select the new style from the Gallery tab. This will display all of your boundaries in the same color, so then go to the settings wheel next to your selected Color Scheme and select either "apply to outline" or "apply to fill and outline". This will apply the style in the selected color scheme. Alternatively you could click on each of your symbols and change the outline color individually now that the style is set.

0 Kudos
Diana_Di_Leonardo
New Contributor II

But for some reason the layers options don't show in 'format all symbols', but only when you format one symbol at a time.

In the symbology pane, click on the symbol to get to 'format symbol'. Then look for Properties>Layers

0 Kudos