How to Change # of Decimal Places in Chart Statistics when Viewing Statistics on a Field

12-22-2021 12:27 PM
Labels (2)
ChristopherBowering
Occasional Contributor II

When I right-click on a field within the attribute table and select 'Statistics', a chart and statistical properties appear.  I wish a small, simple window would come up with statistical information instead of a full separate entity - as was the case in ArcMap - but that is neither here nor there!  Right now, the various statistics (sum, max, mean, etc) only show 1 decimal place.  The numeric properties for the field itself are set to show 6 decimal places and I don't see where I can change this property for the chart results.  I'd like for more than 1 decimal place to be present.  Does anyone know how to change this??

29 Replies
BrianOevermann
Occasional Contributor III

And an update regarding the workaround of copy/pasting the value--you need to basically select the line and not the value itself to copy/paste. Somewhere along the way, just copying the value no longer holds the entire value and only has the single decimal place. The Esri staff were not aware of the copy/paste abilities but, really, how can you truly be aware of all of the intricacies of the software when they are making all of the seemingly minor tweaks on a regular basis. You can copy the entire table of statistical info if you select toward the top and copy. You might need to play around a bit to find the sweet spot. I don't happen to have Pro open at the moment to be more detailed.

0 Kudos
FaithSJohnson
New Contributor III

I can't get it to work!! I'm really trying.

0 Kudos
BrianOevermann

@FaithSJohnson, I'm unsure if you can't get the table copy to work or the row copy (or something else). I am still using Pro 2.9.5 so if you are on 3.x your experience may now be different. See the attached graphic. I simply right-clicked within the statistics table and chose Copy Table, then pasted it into a text document. If you highlight a row and select Copy Row it will only give you that row information.

My original post says "select toward the top" but you can right-click anywhere in the table. And, I realize I didn't explicitly say "right-click to copy" so I apologize if I confused anyone.

0 Kudos
KFung_TLC
New Contributor III

I just got into the EXACT SAME ISSUE and it's mind boggling why ArcPo cannot (or refuse) to make this simple feature available. 

"....It turns out that this other employee (I won't name but he was great as well, seriously!) was the person that argued for changing it to one decimal place (who could have predicted that?). His reasons were sound, though shortsighted (my opinion)....."

Hopefully I am wrong, but such opinion from that ESRI employee simply make me ANGRY about ArcPro, and drive me more and more a "ArcMap Desktop loyalist". I understand he may have a "high road" in his mind (such as forcing us to put extra effort in order to develop so-called good GIS practices), but those kind of Holier-Than-Thou attitude is not going to win more genuine convert to ArcPro. If ArcPro is a real upgrade, why not keeping the original feature that make ArcMap Desktop great?

Seriously, it is THAT hard for them to add/fix such minor features, which would make thousands of ArcPro users life such simpler? 

Sorry for the ranting, but I second the cheers for Brian on advocating this minor but important issue on our behalf. Hopefully they can listen. Thanks again for everyone that bring this up!

GordondeSouza
New Contributor

I would like to see this feature as well. I used it all the time before Pro as I needed 2 decimals places and to not have that functionality is aggravating and time consuming. I would also like to see the length of objects update automatically instead of having to run Calculate Geometry every time. Many times I have to make fine adjustments to lines and areas and each time I change something I have to run Calculate Geometry to get my line totals. Pro needs a similar feature like MapInfo where you double click on the object and get all stats in a pop-up box without having to re-calculate any geometry.

FaithSJohnson
New Contributor III

Lots of people are having this issue. So what is the quickest way that you are using to sum a field with precision of more than one decimal place? Please don't say Summary Statistics. I know about that, but I'd like something faster, that doesn't create an output table.

0 Kudos
BrianOevermann

@FaithSJohnson, see my reply to your other post above. Instead of selecting "Copy Table", first highlight the Sum row and then right-click and select "Copy Row" then paste that into a text document to see the full decimal places. FWIW, the text file can be a throwaway and doesn't need to be something you keep around. You just need to have somewhere to paste the copied info so you can see the full value(s).

0 Kudos
FaithSJohnson
New Contributor III

Yes, thank you. This does work for me. I hope Esri doesn't think this is "solved" - but at least I can find the answer after a few more clicks and using another program.

0 Kudos
BrianOevermann

Here to post my 2nd Annual Update on this topic after attending the Esri UC. I saw my Esri staff friend, Alycia, again and got a bunch of my Pro questions answered (she really is an expert on Pro!). Then she walked me over to the island where the staff (who shall still remain nameless) from last year's interaction currently was. He, his Lead, and another staff whom was never introduced discussed the status of changing the number of decimals back to 6 places.

I was assured that the decimal change will be in Pro 3.2 due sometime around October.

I told them I would be posting an update to this thread and hoped they weren't going to make a liar out me! Crossing my fingers on that but it appears that the change is truly imminent.

HollyTorpey_LSA

That's fantastic news! 😍 Thanks for coming back here with the update!

- Holly
0 Kudos