Select to view content in your preferred language

Generate geometry by expression tool similar to QGIS

3 weeks ago
ChristopherDawe
New Contributor III

I am trying to find a method of generating geometry based off a single point feature and 4 of its attributes to create a crown spread based on distances in each of the 4 cardinal directions.

In QGIS there is a tool called "Geometry by Expression" where it is fairly simple to generate these points, buffer them and convex hull to generate a polygon of the coverage, however i cannot find any similar tools in ArcGIS Pro.

I understand this could probably be done using python, however my skills are limited with python scripting, and hoping there is an easier way. I would ultimately like to build this into model builder alongside some other processes

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

0 Kudos
3 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Ah, the QGIS geometry generator. It really spoils you for using other tools, that's for sure. You might be able to do this in Pro, yes. I don't have Pro open to test this, but here's my idea:

1. Add 4 marker symbols to your symbology
  2. Enable attribute-based symbology connections
  3. Set the x/y offset of each based on the cardinal direction fields
  4. Add a global modifer to your symbology settings for a bounding polygon
  5. Set the global bounding polygon type to convex hull

I'm intrigued by this enough to boot into Windows, and will follow up with any results.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Bah! Looks like a no-go. The symbology panel keeps griping about inconsistent geometry logic and won't let me apply a bounding polygon to the layer. I can get the points to show up shifted in their cardinal directions, at least.

The closest I can get is to use the "circular sector" effect on 4 fill layers, then tie the cardinal directions to the radius value and set the angles appropriately. It doesn't look very good compared to what's possible elsewhere, though. Here it is, with different colors applied to make it easier to see the different sectors. Adding a negative buffer and positive offset helps make the wedges a bit smoother, but it's still a far cry from ideal.

jcarlson_1-1721922461238.png

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
Bud
by
Honored Contributor

Would it be worth submitting an ArcGIS Pro idea for this? At the very least, an idea would get Esri to confirm the functionality doesn't already exist in Pro.

0 Kudos