Focal statistics error

04-23-2021 09:24 PM
DougTurk
New Contributor II

Hi All,

I'm getting an error running the Focal Statistics tool. My input raster is a DEM layer from the USGS Elevation Derivatives for National Applications (EDNA) Seamless Three-Dimensional Hydrologic Da.... I reprojected the horizontal coordinates to the USA Contiguous Albers Equal Area Conic USGS projected system, and the Z coordinate to the NAVD 1988 coordinate system. I've tried running the tool in both ModelBuilder and as a stand-alone geoprocess, but both error out. I've tried using different input parameters, such as Rectangle, Circle, etc., as well as different width and height values, and I've tried running different statistic types, but nothing seems to work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Doug

0 Kudos
22 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

What is the error message?

What is the raster format of your input and output Raster formats?

Could you keep the vertical coordinate System (Z) blank, and check?

Think Location
0 Kudos
DougTurk
New Contributor II

Hi Jayanta,

Thanks for the reply. The error message is posted below, but I want to caveat that I logged a similar bug report with ESRI last week and they came back and said the issue was not a bug. There was no explanation why (I didn't have time to follow-up at the time). I just tried re-running it with the Z set to no coordinate system and it still errors out.

Error Message:

Executing (Focal Statistics): FocalStatistics DEM_Layers\SCU_EDNA_Reproject_orig_dem C:\Users\14084\Documents\MSProject\GISData\MSProject.gdb\SCU_Surface_Mean "Circle 11 CELL" Mean DATA 90
Start Time: Friday, April 23, 2021 9:36:17 PM
Distributing operation across 20 parallel instances.
ERROR 999999: Something unexpected caused the tool to fail. Contact Esri Technical Support (http://esriurl.com/support) to Report a Bug, and refer to the error help for potential solutions or workarounds.
Failed to execute (Focal Statistics).
Failed at Friday, April 23, 2021 9:36:17 PM (Elapsed Time: 0.07 seconds)

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Could you save the output raster as a TIFF file, with a shorter pathname?

e.g. C:\MSPROJECT/RASTERS/SCU_Surface_Mean.tif

Think Location
0 Kudos
DougTurk
New Contributor II

Same issue. I should note that I've been using this file path for many months with no problem. Here's the error to a much shorter path:

Executing (Focal Statistics): FocalStatistics Reproject_Reproject_EDNA_Raw_SCU_Original_Data_DEM C:\MSP\SMean "Rectangle 11 11 CELL" Mean DATA 90
Start Time: Friday, April 23, 2021 10:00:03 PM
Distributing operation across 20 parallel instances.
ERROR 999999: Something unexpected caused the tool to fail. Contact Esri Technical Support (http://esriurl.com/support) to Report a Bug, and refer to the error help for potential solutions or workarounds.
Failed to execute (Focal Statistics).
Failed at Friday, April 23, 2021 10:00:03 PM (Elapsed Time: 0.05 seconds)

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I see the defined output raster as "C:\MSP\SMean".

Could you define it as "C:\MSP\SMean.tif"?

I am sorry for insisting you again, but I am not sure if you had defined .tif extension as I suggested previously.

Think Location
0 Kudos
DougTurk
New Contributor II

Hi Jayanta,

No worries!  Yes, I tried including the .tif extension on the file name in one of the runs, but it also failed. Rebooting my machine seems to have resolved the issue for now. Thanks for continuing to try and help me resolve this issue.

0 Kudos
DougTurk
New Contributor II

Just to see what would happen, I tried running the Hillshade raster function using the same DEM and it completed successfully. However, when I ran it as a geoprocess it errored out:

ERROR 010040: Unable to delete raster C:\Users\14084\Documents\MSProject\GISData\MSProject.gdb\SCU_HS_New.
ERROR 010029: Unable to create the raster C:\Users\14084\Documents\MSProject\GISData\MSProject.gdb\SCU_HS_New.
ERROR 010067: Error in executing grid expression.
Failed to execute (HillShade).

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If it is the same rasters that you are using in this thread

Sampling raster returns no values - Esri Community

I would again suggest using *.tif rasters in a folder with a much shorter path

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
DougTurk
New Contributor II

Hi Dan, it's a different raster. The earlier issue was using Sentinel 2 satellite data, while this one is using NHD DEM data from the USGS. 

I just moved the original .zip file to a new folder location on my C drive and tried to run the Copy Raster geoprocess. I set the copy format to "TIFF Format". The process errors out again, very fast. I've attached the error message to this post. I tried running it leaving the NoData Value field empty, and using -9999, and both error out. I'm planning to restart my machine to see if that clears something out.

0 Kudos