Empty spaces in point clouds

Jump to solution
09-04-2021 11:38 PM
IramIrshadBaqri
New Contributor II

I am working with point clouds and everything is working fine but within the point clouds I have empty/white spaces created due to shadows of objects or people in the point cloud. Is there a tool or a process that I can run which gets rid of those voids in the point cloud? 

The data has been collected using a car mounted device. 

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Iram

IramIrshadBaqri_0-1630823718863.png

IramIrshadBaqri_1-1630823847379.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
David_Brooks
MVP Regular Contributor

@IramIrshadBaqri, you can't easily interpolate a point cloud in ESRI software becuase there aren't any tools to add points to a LAS dataset, unless they've already been classified.

What are your intentions with the point cloud once it's filled in?

You could easily produce other products to then interpolate. You could generate a TIN model which would interpolate the missing data, or interpolate a raster surface using one of these methods 

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/tool-reference/3d-analyst/comparing-interpolation-methods.h... 

Otherwise, you might be better off looking at Global Mapper or MatLab

Alternatively, given that this point cloud appears to have come from drone based photogrammetry, you could generate a mesh model or LOD model (eg SLPK) and enable hole filling. This would make better sense than working with a point cloud for web veiwing. But I don't know what the use case is.

David
..Maps with no limits..

View solution in original post

1 Reply
David_Brooks
MVP Regular Contributor

@IramIrshadBaqri, you can't easily interpolate a point cloud in ESRI software becuase there aren't any tools to add points to a LAS dataset, unless they've already been classified.

What are your intentions with the point cloud once it's filled in?

You could easily produce other products to then interpolate. You could generate a TIN model which would interpolate the missing data, or interpolate a raster surface using one of these methods 

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/tool-reference/3d-analyst/comparing-interpolation-methods.h... 

Otherwise, you might be better off looking at Global Mapper or MatLab

Alternatively, given that this point cloud appears to have come from drone based photogrammetry, you could generate a mesh model or LOD model (eg SLPK) and enable hole filling. This would make better sense than working with a point cloud for web veiwing. But I don't know what the use case is.

David
..Maps with no limits..