Empty Output When Transforming Excel-to-Table

04-30-2021 09:52 AM
Labels (1)
sarab
by
New Contributor II

Hello everyone,

I am having an issue when transforming an excel file into a table and then join the latter to a Shapefile.

After performing the join of the transformed excel file into a table, I try to change the symbology but when selecting the field, it looks like it doesn't have any class so I am not able to, for instance, assign different colors to the classes.

What can be the root cause of it? An issue with the transformation or the join?

The field has a list of numbers such as "1.90" "1.00" "23.43" and so on. 

Thank you!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

are you sure these aren't strings/text?  I'd check the field properties first.  If so I'd just create a new field and field calculate float(!Field!) or alter the data type in excel.

0 Kudos
sarab
by
New Contributor II

Thanks for the suggestion! I checked and all fields are 'number.' Also, I have a similar excel for another case study, same exact structure but for different administrative boundaries, and that works perfectly. Does it make sense to just re-create the excel from scratch?

0 Kudos
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

oh, is the table still joined? If you can, try exporting the joined table to a new feature class/shapefile as it will probably have to run statistics for the classes - or do you need the linked join still?

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Did the final table (after Join) look fine? Then Join would have taken place successfully, else there is an issue with Join.

A couple of screenshots showing the workflow and the issue may help us understand the concern better.

What is the field with the list ("1.90" "1.00" "23.43" and so on) used for?

The FieldType looks like Text. In case you want to use it for symbolizing quantitatively, create a new field with Float or Double FieldType, and use Field Calculator to get the same values from the text field.

For Python Parser, expression: !textfieldname!

Edit:

I think David already suggested what I had in my mind.

@sarab Could you share the the excel, so that we can have a look at it?

Think Location
0 Kudos
sarab
by
New Contributor II

@DavidPike @JayantaPoddar thanks for the suggestions, I tried to create another layer and re-join and it worked. I am not sure why with the first layer within the same project was not working, but now it seems it does 🙃