easily determine corner coordinates of layout?

Jump to solution
06-02-2021 11:10 AM
Labels (1)
RachelLeRoy
New Contributor

How do I easily determine the coordinates of the upper left and lower right corners of my layout?
I know if I export my layout as an image with a world file, that world file will contain the coordinates of the upper left corner.
Is there an easy/automated way to determine the lower right corner's coordinates from the world file? Or via another method?

Thank you for your help!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Using Dynamic Text > Map Frame Coordinates (I assume you working on Layout View).

JayantaPoddar_0-1622657817659.png

Think Location

View solution in original post

4 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Using Dynamic Text > Map Frame Coordinates (I assume you working on Layout View).

JayantaPoddar_0-1622657817659.png

Think Location
RachelLeRoy
New Contributor

Oh my gosh Jayanta, thank you so much! I can't freakin' believe I spent an hour on ESRI and Google trying to find the solution and it's JUST RIGHT THERE! I'm laughing at myself....thank you for saving me!

0 Kudos
zeynepdemir
New Contributor

Hi, I'm using ArcMap10.3 and in my version there is "dynamic text" in insert but there is not "map frame coordinates" . how can I insert a corner coordinates to layout?

(sorry for my english is I write wrong think I'm still learn)

0 Kudos
DAVIDWADSWORTH_LVVWD
New Contributor III

Here's how I solved this with Python. In my case I am cloning and adding text elements within a layout. I have a case where I need to do this within a layout, and not as labels within a map. Maybe other users will need to do that. Before I can, I need to get the map frame within the layout, interrogate it for it's scale and the extent of the map frame as shown in the layout:

I have a layout called: A Street Map Layout. The map frame within it is the default name, 'Map Frame'.

aprx = arcpy.mp.ArcGISProject("CURRENT")
lyt = aprx.listLayouts("A Street Map Layout")[0]
mf = lyt.listElements('MAPFRAME_ELEMENT','Map Frame')[0]

# To read the position on the page: 

mfTop = mf.elementPositionY + mf.elementHeight 
mfBottom = mf.elementPositionY
mfSide = mf.elementPositionX

# Get scale of map frame

mScale = mf.camera.scale 

#Read the extent of the map frame in coordinates. Here are State Plane, Nevada East, assigned in map.

mfExtent = mf.camera.getExtent()

print("Min X,Y position of map in layout: {}, {}".format(mfBottom,mfSide))

print("xMin, YMin: {}, {}".format(mfExtent.XMin, mfExtent.YMin))
print("xMax, YMax: {}, {}".format(mfExtent.XMax, mfExtent.YMax))

Min X,Y position of map in layout: 2.0, 0.43
xMin, YMin: 742798.2847974019, 26763386.193185568
xMax, YMax: 789861.0954051455, 26792858.29058627

This should return the pieces that you are looking for. Hope that this helps someone.

0 Kudos