Database Connection to SQL Server SDE fail

Jump to solution
03-17-2022 04:03 PM
KeithMortensen
New Contributor III

Trying to make a Database Connection to our SDE on Sql Server. 

I have a new machine: Dell, Win11, PRO 2.9, ArcGIS 10.8.1. 

All the other machines on the premises with various operating systems all work. win10 and win11. Ive installed all the ODBC clients from 11 to 17. I can access my SDE server from SSMS and making a new OLE DB Connection in Pro. I've uninstalled and reinstalled every version of Pro from 2.3 to 2.9. 

What am I missing?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KeithMortensen
New Contributor III

So after everything we tried over here, Jeff and Lisa from ESRI helped out. We found out, besides sql native client 10, the only other thing that was different was the old machine had odbc driver 13, and the new machine had everything BUT that. So we got rid of odbc 17 and 18 and installed 13 and it worked. 

Thanks for everyone's help in trying to solve this hair removing issue

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
16 Replies
KimGarbade
Occasional Contributor III

When you create a successful connection to a SQL Server instance ArcGIS Pro creates a "NameOfTheConnection.sde" file on a drive somewhere.  You can use this connection to connect to the database using the "Add Database" option instead of the "New Database Connection" option.  Can you reference, or copy a successful .sde file from one of the other computers that can connect, to a network drive you have access to and try that file?  If it works or if it doesn't... either way its a clue to what's going on creating a new connection.

0 Kudos
KeithMortensen
New Contributor III

Great idea, but it didn't work. At least it tells me the the connection parameters Im using are correct. 

0 Kudos
KimGarbade
Occasional Contributor III

When you say it didn't work what do you mean (I.E. What message does it give you when you click which button)?

Also, when you open the connection file's "connection properties"; if you don't change the username and password, can you click on the "Database" dropdown and see the name of the database you are try to connect to?  Is it only when you hit "OK" that it gives the message?

KimGarbade_0-1647873113703.png

0 Kudos
KeithMortensen
New Contributor III

I put an image with the original post to show the error, but it wont even pull up the list of databases. also of note, I can see via the ssms some of my login attempts to the db. specifically the ones where I had a typo in the password. 

0 Kudos
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

Did you install the 64-bit clients on the machine?

What is the version of SQL Server being used?

Is SSMS on the same machine as Pro?

Try uninstalling all the ODBC clients besides the latest version.

--- George T.
KeithMortensen
New Contributor III

Thanks for the reply. All 64 bit clients. SSMS is on the same machine as pro. Ill try reinstalling ....

0 Kudos
KeithMortensen
New Contributor III

sql server 2016. I uninstalled everything but odbc c driver 18 and Im getting a an error that its trying to connect with client software version that is too old. grrr

0 Kudos
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

What is the version of the geodatabase?

Look in the VERSION table.

--- George T.
0 Kudos
KeithMortensen
New Contributor III

10.8.xxx I just closed it and forgot to note it....

0 Kudos