Creating Symbology for Nonexistent Data to be Edited (Status Tracking)

Jump to solution
02-17-2023 11:12 AM
Labels (2)
Henry
by
Occasional Contributor II

Hello,

I have a feature service that I want users to use to edit the "status" of a feature.

I have domains for a "Feature Color" field and a "Status" field (both integer data). I intend to symbolize by both fields, so there are a number of combinations:

0,0 - Feature Color 0, Incomplete

0,1 - Feature Color 0, Complete

1,0 - Feature Color 1, Incomplete

1,1 - Feature Color 1, Complete

etc.

It is not an empty dataset to start. There is data for attributes with status populated as "Incomplete". Users will then edit the data to "Complete" to track work progress.

Pro is only letting me (for now) symbolize features for combinations of data that already exist in the dataset. This isn't useful for creating an active layer intended for editing and progress tracking.

Is there any way I can set up the layer's symbology so that the symbols for 'Complete' status items exist despite them not being present in the data (yet?). I don't want to give this data over to users, have them begin progress tracking, and then symbolize based on the modified attributes for a visual representation of progress. I also don't want to have to create "false" records just in order for me to apply the symbology I need for the status tracking

I'm a little frustrated that there seems to be a barrier (either technically or of my own awareness) to achieving this. Any explanations, solutions or workarounds are recommended! Thanks!

Henry
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RhettZufelt
MVP Frequent Contributor

Sure, in the Symbology pane for Unique Values, you will see a plus sign:

RhettZufelt_0-1677193663239.png

Press that and it will let you select any combinations of the data that are NOT already in the list, OR, you can add new value combinations here:

RhettZufelt_1-1677193726820.png

However, I often find it easier/faster to add the 'false' data, symbolize, save, then delete the false data.

R_

View solution in original post

1 Reply
RhettZufelt
MVP Frequent Contributor

Sure, in the Symbology pane for Unique Values, you will see a plus sign:

RhettZufelt_0-1677193663239.png

Press that and it will let you select any combinations of the data that are NOT already in the list, OR, you can add new value combinations here:

RhettZufelt_1-1677193726820.png

However, I often find it easier/faster to add the 'false' data, symbolize, save, then delete the false data.

R_