Select to view content in your preferred language

Creating a rotated fishnet for agricultural purposes

01-04-2024 04:53 PM
CassandraPlank
New Contributor II

My work is within a vineyard, and what I want to achieve is to add a fishnet over top of the vineyard block, however I want the y-axis to line up with the vineyard rows. I’ve looked at fishnets and I’ve only seen them with lines pointing directly up or across. Therefore, I will need to rotate the grid. 

I also want the grid intersections to match up with single vines. I want the intersection to act as an address to the vine, and to use sequential numbers for the vines within a row. I have the vine by row spacing to create the right size of the grid squares, but I'm not sure how to add these units to the fishnet parameters. 

Is this possible?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
BobBooth1
Esri Contributor

To get the Row and Vine IDs, I'd suggest adding two fields to your cells - RowID (probably use a text field) and VineID (use an integer field).  For each row, select the features in that row, and in the field calculator, calculate the RowID to be the row name string. Then calculate the VineID field. Use the "Sequential Number" helper function. In the code block, choose the starting vineID number (e.g. 200 and the increment value (probably 1). Run the calculation.

calculate_sequential_values_selected_polys.png

0 Kudos
SeaRM
by
New Contributor III

Hi, CassandraPlank.

I use XTools Pro Online Create Rectangular Fishnet tool to get rotated fishnet.

https://online.xtools.pro/portal/tools/CreateRectangularFishnet

0 Kudos