Create Street Grid Index (Legend)

06-21-2021 12:32 AM
no33mis
New Contributor II

Dear Community,

I am currently working on a new city map, and would need to create a street grid index (e.g. Street 1 at Grid A3, Street 2 at Grid D4 and so on). 

I have seen that there are some related topics, however none of them answers the question on how to perform such a task. I was able to add a 9 x 9 reference grid in the layout view, but cannot find an option to create a legend (index) for the layer containing the streets. I struggle to understand why there is a tool to create reference grids, but at the same time lacks the possibility to assign spatial features to these grids. Perhaps I am overlooking something? 

Many thanks for any inputs.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Are you using ... Grid Index Features (Cartography)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
no33mis
New Contributor II

Thanks Dan. No, the final product will be an official city map and the grids need to be continous within the layout view. Hence, I have to implement a 9 x 9 grid with the same rectangle sizes. 

I have inserted a reference grid within the layout (https://pro.arcgis.com/de/pro-app/latest/help/layouts/reference-grids.htm) and changed the settings accordingly. However it then seems not possible to assign spatial features to these grids; in my case point features which contain the street names as attributes.

This is such an important task in creating maps, hence I am not sure why there is no intuitive tool to achieve this.

JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Could you check if Create Fishnet works for you?

Edit: Then a Grid Index Features using the Fishnet grid as input, would set a Grid Index for the entire region.

Think Location
0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

As Jayanta says, fishnet might work, but you will have to assign your features and grids using a spatial join so they have an index "key"

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi no33mis,

You may want to look at the comments on a related thread - Custom reference grid ABCD, 1234.

Hope this helps, 

Tom

0 Kudos