Create points with uniform distance

Jump to solution
02-11-2022 10:59 AM
GISLearner
New Contributor III

I want to create points that are 400 meters apart (both horizontally and vertically) inside a polygon. The polygons are huge so I'm looking for a process that will automatically do that (nothing manual). How to do so in ArcGIS Pro?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Create Fishnet (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

create a polygon/polyline grid with label points.  You probably just want the label points, but you can also convert the fishnet to vertices and remove the duplicates if needed.

It is probably the easiest

I have some tools on github for the slightly more adventurous

Tools_for_ArcGIS_Pro/PointTools at master · Dan-Patterson/Tools_for_ArcGIS_Pro (github.com)

... sort of retired...

View solution in original post

7 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

create a polygon/polyline grid with label points.  You probably just want the label points, but you can also convert the fishnet to vertices and remove the duplicates if needed.

It is probably the easiest

I have some tools on github for the slightly more adventurous

Tools_for_ArcGIS_Pro/PointTools at master · Dan-Patterson/Tools_for_ArcGIS_Pro (github.com)

... sort of retired...
GISLearner
New Contributor III

Would you have any idea why Create Fishnet fails for me? I get the error message: ERROR 000224: Cannot insert features

Also, using the tool Mesh Points from your github, I get the below error. Do you have any idea what I'm missing?

SalmaA_1-1644861682648.png

0 Kudos
Sean_Wray
Occasional Contributor

You could create a line feature class inside your polygon. If your lines need to be 400 meters apart, use the copy parallel function to get that distance right. Then use the densify too to create vertices every 400 meters along the lines. Then use the feature vertices to points tool to create your points.

I'm not exactly clear on what you mean by vertically and horizontally.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

vertically and horizontally.  a grid pattern like the label points from fishnet or their vertices 

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
RhettZufelt
MVP Frequent Contributor

Does this help?  Sounds like what you are trying down through step 3.

How To: Create rectangular grids within a polygon layer with sampling points away from the polygon b...

R_

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

should raise that error, try saving the output to a shorter path.

You are running the tool from the toolbox installed in a path with no spaces? from inside Pro.

Both issues suggest access to arcpy issues and/or path problems to the local file geodatabase

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
GISLearner
New Contributor III

Thank you so much!!! You helped me overcome a roadblock I've been facing for weeks

0 Kudos