Create Locator: ERROR 002777

Jump to solution
05-20-2021 11:17 PM
StefanBrandt
New Contributor III

I'm on AGP 2.7 trying to create a Locator using the Geocoding tool "Create Locator".

But no matter what name I put into the Output Locator field (even the default one I get when I first select the primary table) I only get

ERROR 002777 The name is invalid.

I tried using only letters, various forms of lower or upper case with or without numbers but I can't find a name that the tool will accept as valid.

Any help is appreciated.

Create_Locator.png

Error.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

What's the full path of the output?

Please ensure there is no space, special characters or accented characters in any of the folders as well.

JayantaPoddar_1-1621581313966.png

Think Location

View solution in original post

7 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

What's the full path of the output?

Please ensure there is no space, special characters or accented characters in any of the folders as well.

JayantaPoddar_1-1621581313966.png

Think Location
tristan_goers_fnsb
New Contributor II

I have the same issue. My path is...

C:\Users\tristan.goers\Documents\github-repositories\gis-agol-scripts\Toolbox\FNSBLocator

Where FNSBLocator is the locators name.

tristan_goers_fnsb_0-1653692353246.png

0 Kudos
mike-mike-mike
New Contributor

Is the no space/special/accent in the path a common requirement for all the Geoprocessing Tools?

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

It's more of a naming convention for the GIS files. Many Geoprocessing tools may result in error if proper naming convention is not followed.

Here is a good article I found online. https://learngis.org/textbook/section-six-arcgis-file-naming-rules 

Think Location
0 Kudos
ZandBakhtiari1
New Contributor II

I had this issue an it turns out it didn't like the network drive I was using.  I pointed it to my desktop and it worked fine.  

JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Also Desktop is not an ideal directory to store your GIS Data objects. You could save on a local drive within a Data/Project Folder (Not under Users folder).

Think Location
0 Kudos
ZandBakhtiari1
New Contributor II

I just did that to get the tool to work.  I moved it after that to the same network location and it works fine.

0 Kudos