Select to view content in your preferred language

Count of addresses within a dissemination block

Jump to solution
05-21-2020 12:09 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello all,

Newbie here. I have a table of addresses that I have geo-coded on a World Street Map. I've also included 2 StatsCan boundary files, Dissemination Subdivision and Dissemination Blocks. I am trying to use Graduated colours get a display based the count of addresses within a Dissemination Block. I've used a spatial join on Dissemination Subdivision and Join_Count for Primary symbology - Graduated Colors, and this seems to return reasonable results, but when I try the same methodology for the Block level, I get 0 for a Join_Count. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

Oh I had fun with this one...

My best guess is that the huge number of 0 join_count values in the dataset basically overmatches the small number of other join_counts, maybe a skip factor or something like that is hidden in there. Definitely something for esri to look into.

If you get rid of the 0 values either via deletion (select by attribute where "Join_Count" = 0 or with a  definition query "Join_Count" <> 0, then overlay that layer on top it should work as expected.

View solution in original post

23 Replies
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

can you provide some screenshots please

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Please see below a spatial join on dissemination block using DAUID and First as the parameters. I've selected 1 block and I can see a Join_Count of 7:

Here is a screen shot for another, more heavily populated block with a Join_Count of 85:

So I am getting differing values, per block that look reasonable (need to figure out how to validate that), but I cannot seem to get the graduated colors to display it properly. When I try to a different value for Classes (e.g., 5) it snaps back to 1 class??

0 Kudos
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

What does the histogram look like and also can you show the attribute table including all the columns.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I cleaned up my spatial join a bit. Below is some sample data from the attribute table:

And the histogram:

Thank you,

--sue

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Looking at your screenshots, you are doing a graduated color with one class using natural breaks. What are you expecting from a single-class graduated ramp?

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Joshua,

When I tried to select more classes, it would snap back to 1 effectively removing the option

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Ah, OK, now I understand.  With any histogram, the tool never defaults to sampling the entire set of values.  That said, the symbology tool should handle your type of situation better.

0 Kudos
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

I can't really see why it would do this other than a bug. I'd give creating a new field a try and copying the same join_count values across in field calculator, then perhaps saving a new copy.  I can also try and run it for you if you send the data.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks David. I'll try the field copy. I'm also going to try the same type of mapping with a different data set, some Ontario schools (Ontario public school contact information - May 2020 - Ontario Data Catalogue ). Unfortunately the data I am working with is sensitive and I am not able to share it. The boundary file is the Dissemination Blocks file - Cartographic boundary file found at 2016 Census Boundary files , if you were inclined to mimic the process. I'll report back if I have the same issue. If so, it is a bug or I have a bad install. If not, there is something funky with my data.

Thanks for all of your help so far

--sue

0 Kudos