Contents Pane Gone, Won't Open

Jump to solution
10-05-2018 01:12 PM
FelixLandry2
New Contributor

I'm switching to ArcGIS Pro from QGIS.  Everything's been going fine, but today the contents pane in all my map projects disappeared and pressing the contents pane button under the view tab doesn't do anything.  It gone from my existing map projects and any new ones I create.  Any ideas?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Felix – when I see strange behavior like this I delete (or rename) the Esri folders in the following directories:

C:\Users\<user profile>\AppData\Roaming\Esri

C:\Users\<user profile>\AppData\Local\Esri

Typically the issue goes away at this point.

View solution in original post

16 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Felix – when I see strange behavior like this I delete (or rename) the Esri folders in the following directories:

C:\Users\<user profile>\AppData\Roaming\Esri

C:\Users\<user profile>\AppData\Local\Esri

Typically the issue goes away at this point.

FelixLandry2
New Contributor

Thanks for responding, I'll give it a go and check back.  Are these temporary files?

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Not temporary rather they remember the configuration of your AGP setup like Folder connections, DB connections, etc...

0 Kudos
FelixLandry2
New Contributor

Robert, I just got through deleting the files you identified and it appears to have done the trick.  Thanks so much for the feedback.  Is this something you've had to do often?

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

I don't believe you'd have to do this often.  I've had to this once, maybe twice in the past year.  This was attributed to doing an upgrade from 2.1 to 2.2 without the full uninstall/clean install.

0 Kudos
FelixLandry2
New Contributor

This makes sense.  I just recently upgraded.  Thanks for all the additional discussion.

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Is this a similar remedy to renaming the Normal.mxt for ArcMap as that is only 1 file being impacted where this remedy is affecting many files?  If you have both ArcMap and Pro installed on the same computer, because not all functionality is available in Pro, could this impact ArcMap's operations?

FelixLandry2
New Contributor

Michael Volz‌ I would love to hear more about this as well.  Is this something you can give any additional details on Robert LeClair‌??

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

I've been using ArcMap for many years and renaming the Normal.mxt file has resolved many issues, but it does come with a cost where customizations of the UI (including but not limited to toolbars) need to redone which is trivial for some users but more time consuming for those with a large amount of customization.  Renaming an entire directory which is Robert's solution (that did solve your problem) could result in a user needing to redo all this customization in Pro.  I am more concerned with renaming this folder though, if ArcMap is also installed on the computer as it shares these folders. As such ArcMap would be impacted by this fix even if ArcMap was working fine, so now you would need to restore ArcMap's customizations as well as Pro customizations if you are working in a dual environment (Based on many user's comments on GeoNet I would think this is/will be a common scenario as org's transition from ArcMap to Pro as functionality is still lacking in Pro and it is cost prohibitive for endusers to have dedicated machines for ArcMap and Pro).

0 Kudos