Can't validate Attribute Rule to specific a feature

05-18-2022 02:29 PM
FredIausly1
New Contributor

This is my first time working with Arcade and Attribute Rules is ArcGIS Pro 2.9.  I'm working on rules to assist with the development of Address Points.  One task, when creating or updating an address point I need to pull the parcel number value from our Tax Parcel data using an intersect.  When trying to specify the TaxParcelPoly to pull the parcel number I get an error message.  I don't have a good understanding of how database should be called using Arcade.

This is the statement that I have so far:

var fsTaxParcel = FeatureSetByName($datastore,"GISdw.DCL.TaxParcelPoly",["PARCELNO"])
var fsParcelIntersect = Intersects(fsTaxParcel, $feature)
var ParcelNum = First(fsParcelIntersect)

Error Message:  Invalid expression.  Error on line 1.  Table not found GISdw.DCL.TaxParcelPoly

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JohannesLindner
MVP Frequent Contributor

You load a feature class from the database with

FeatureSetByName($datastore, "Database.DataOwner.TableName")

It's telling you that it can't find the table "GISdw.DCL.TaxParcelPoly" in the datastore. You should check:

• that the parcel feature class is in the same database as your points
  • that the database name (GISdw) is correct
  • that the data owner name (DCL) is correct
  • that the feature class name (TaxParcelPoly) is correct

Have a great day!
Johannes
0 Kudos
FredIausly1
New Contributor

Thanks Johannes,

The address points are in a different database, in a separate production database that is database = (AddressPointsa), data owner name = (DCL), feature class name = (AddressPointCSP).  My objective is to the tax parcel number of a feature that is our publishing database, database = (GISdw), data owner name = (DCL), feature class name = (TaxParcelPoly).  Are you saying that Attribute Rules require that any feature class that I need to pull data from has to be in the same database as my production data?  That will be an issue and make the use of Attribute Rules a lot more complicated.

Fred

0 Kudos
FredIausly1
New Contributor

Just as a follow up, the data I'm trying access attributes  are not in a same database.  Rather I'm looking to access data that I'm adding to the Pro project.  With that, then I should be  using $map instead of $datastore.  When I do that I also get an error "Object not found $map".  Still not able to make it work.

0 Kudos
JohannesLindner
MVP Frequent Contributor

Because Arcade is used for many different things (eg Attribute Rules, popups, labeling, symbology, field calculation), there are differences in what global variables (like $feature, $map, and $datastore) get exposed to the user. The exposed globals are described in the Arcade profiles. For example, here is the profile for Calculation Attribute Rules: Profiles | ArcGIS Arcade | ArcGIS Developer

Attribute Rules should work regardless from where you trigger them, so it's sensible that you don't get access to $map.

For accessing data from different databases the only option I know of is publishing that data to AGOL or Portal and then using FeatureSetByPortalItem().

Have a great day!
Johannes
0 Kudos