Select to view content in your preferred language

Can I really not overwrite a web layer from Pro?

6 hours ago
sam_nyc
New Contributor

Hi, I'm new to ArcGIS Pro (using 3.2 Pro) and trying to understand the best workflow to update AGOL web maps through ArcGIS Pro.  Basically just testing what I can/can't do at this point.

This has been posted a few times, but with some conflicting responses.

After making a map, sharing it to AGOL, and then re-opening the web map from the portal in ArcGIS Pro, I tried adding a new shapefile to the map and then re-saving it (Share > Save Web Map > Save).  I get the error pop-up described in this post ("[web layer] already exist, please choose a different name..."), with a solution to go online, delete the old layer, and try again.  Same solution offered here.

But another thread on desktop / AGOL workflows linked to this part of the What's New in ArcGIS Pro 2.6.  The narrator can be seen adding a new layer to an existing web map and then saving it without the issue.

It would be great to be able to do what's in the 2.6 video, but I can't seem to replicate it in my later version.  Am I missing a step or is this not actually possible (anymore)?

I also found this post with a workaround, but it also says you can't make changes to symbology in the layer, but that same video above specifically says you can.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Nick_Creedon
New Contributor III

You can overwrite Web Layers (Hosted Feature Layers) from pro. It sounds like you are trying to overwrite webmaps. I personally haven't tried that.

Sharing Layers to AGOL and hosting them to AGOL has proven to be a really good workflow for myself.

To share a specific layer or a group layer, you would highlight the layer(s) in your contents pane (arrange them in the order you want them), right click, click sharing then share as Web Layer. Once you have an existing Web Layer in AGOL you can go through this same process and choose the "Overwrite Web Layer". Sharing this way only works by right clicking the layer.

Nick_Creedon_0-1725992760148.png

I actually spoke with someone from ESRI couple weeks ago about this.

If you share from the top tab, you will share all of your contents in the map you are currently using in ArcGIS Pro. This functionality is intentional and doesn't plan to be changed anytime in the near future.

Nick_Creedon_1-1725992875867.png

Check out this page and read the considerations for overwriting Web Layers- Overwrite a web feature layer—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

Also, my process conflicts a little bit with the process on this document.

There are multiple ways to share data to AGOL, I have just found my way. Sometimes I use the other.

0 Kudos
sam_nyc
New Contributor

Hi Nick,

Thanks for the response! Yes, I was trying to update the web map, but adding the shapefile to the map forced a change to the layer, which then triggered the error.

If I understand correctly, you are only using ArcGIS to manage the individual layers and then you build the map itself via AGOL?  And the map automatically I would imagine this also keeps the individual layers separate (I noticed that sharing the whole map combined all the layers and shps into a single hosted feature layers, which I wasn't expecting).

Thanks again for sharing your workflow.  I'll try it!

0 Kudos
Nick_Creedon
New Contributor III

Correct, I am building the maps in AGOL after the layer is already shared as a Web Layer. Yes, when creating a webmap you can add and remove layers independently. 

0 Kudos
NicholasBudros
New Contributor

PRO TIP: Do not use overwrite, it will replace the default settings, symbology, layer path, and all definition layer data. I find that truncating the table (aka deleting all features) and replacing all features with append, updates my data with out replacing the meat and bones.

0 Kudos
Nick_Creedon
New Contributor III

There are ways to preserve symbology and most settings, unless you are purposefully wanting to change these things.

You can bring a Web Layer into ArcGIS Pro, right click it and go down to data and export data. There is even an Export Data tool that will do the same. 

This will bring your Web Layer back as a feature class with its symbology and settings that you have saved to it last. I have had to overwrite data quite frequently, and this workflow was great. When overwriting just be mindful of schema changes. Read this page carefully: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/sharing/overview/overwrite-a-web-layer.htm 

0 Kudos