Select to view content in your preferred language

Can ArcGIS Pro import coverages (.adf files)?

05-20-2016 01:57 PM
JoshuaFlickinger1
New Contributor

I haven't been able to find any information related to how coverage files are treated in ArcGIS Pro - other than they don't seem to show up properly in the Project pane when I connect to my data directory.   Is there an import tool I've overlooked or should I take this to mean coverages aren't supported in Pro?  If they are not, is there a plan to support coverages in the future?

16 Replies
JosephKerski
Esri Notable Contributor

My end users don't have ArcMap - they only have Pro... what should I do?

GerryGabrisch
Occasional Contributor III

I had to revive a project from 20 years ago and the data were coverage files.  QGIS can still convert coverages to file formats that ArcGIS Pro can read.  Just add the correct file when adding vector data.  You might find more help here.  https://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/211315/open-arcinfo-files-in-qgis

Capture.JPG

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

and if you have access to Desktop, besides arcpy, you can also just use the toolbox to convert it into a geodatabase featureclass.  If you use multiple featuretype within the coverage, e.g. the arcs, points, polygons and regions (which was common back in the workstation days), you may need to covert more than one type.  Just an fyi

curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

They were pretty clear at the ArcGIS Pro holistic testing two years ago November that there are no plans to support coverages in Pro. However my Python function that runs Workstation still works from Python 3.4 arcpy so all is not lost.

JosephKerski
Esri Notable Contributor

Curtis - my students have Pro, not ArcMap.  What should they do?

JosephKerski
Esri Notable Contributor

Can I run your script in Pro?  

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

give it a try... Pro imports toolboxes, scripts will run if they are python 3.x compliant and even if they aren't you can run py2to3 on them.

The big change for most users is print is now a function ie  

print("this") instead of ... print "this"

nothing to lose since coverages don't appear to be covered anymore

0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

My script requires that you have workstation installed. Probably don't want to go there. 🙂