CAD to GIS layer not in right location

Jump to solution
02-23-2022 02:48 PM
Labels (2)
HopeHauptman
New Contributor III

I'm currently working with a CAD file and importing it into GIS. I was able to upload the .dwg file into GIS, but it seems the projection is off. The file in California, and it ends up in the Arabian Sea... I've checked my coordinates and projections, and it seems to all be WGS_1984_Web_Mercator_Auxiliary_Sphere. The ESRI support docs indicate that correct positioning "may require an optional coordinate transformation information (WLD file) to identify how the coordinates in the CAD data should be positioned on the earth's surface." Could this be what I am missing or do I need to use the Project tool or something like it? 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If they are geolocated what is missing is the spatial reference - the XYs are OK, but there is no spatial reference label on the dataset. If the map is set to the same spatial reference as the data, you'll see things plot in the right place.

View solution in original post

12 Replies
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Either you need to add a projection label (assuming your CAD file has XY coordinates that conform to a known coordinate system) using the Define Projection tool, or the file is in local xy coordinates and you need to add georeferencing to map it to a known coordinate system. This requires some known mapped locations on your CAD file to be used as links.

ArcGIS Pro Help: Georeference CAD data

HopeHauptman
New Contributor III

Thank you for the help. I was told that the CAD file is on coordinates and is using the California Coordinate System (CCS) - NAD83 California State Planes, Zone III, US Foot but I do not see this specific option in the coordinate system list (so I just choose NAD 1983) and still cannot make this work. Do I not need to use the CAD georeferencing tool? 

0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor
GCS NAD 1983 is a geographic coordinate system (decimal degrees), this will not work, you need the projected spatial reference.
Search for it by WKID by typing this number in the coordinate system search box: 102643
https://spatialreference.org/ref/esri/102643/
0 Kudos
HopeHauptman
New Contributor III

I see it there but then what? 

0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You can probably use the Define Projection tool to apply this spatial reference to your CAD file.

If that doesn't work you may have to georeference it with links, here's a nice little video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kwk5ndihFd0

This video explains how to georeference an AutoCAD DWG file in Esri's ArcGIS Pro. This same method works for DGN and DXF files as well. If you like what you see make sure to subscribe and like the video. Let us know if you would like to see how this story turns out. Remember to support us on ...
0 Kudos
PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

Question : How did you get these files ? Did you got them from the City of Los Banos ?

0 Kudos
BrianE1
Occasional Contributor

I get the same issue as well. I create a model in Sketchup, geolocate it in sketchup, and then export as a DWG. 

When I bring it into Pro it ends up 1,500 miles away. 

0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If they are geolocated what is missing is the spatial reference - the XYs are OK, but there is no spatial reference label on the dataset. If the map is set to the same spatial reference as the data, you'll see things plot in the right place.

BrianE1
Occasional Contributor

Anyone know what spatial reference Sketchup uses? I dont think it has that option to choose....

0 Kudos