CAD to GIS layer not in right location

Jump to solution
02-23-2022 02:48 PM
Labels (2)
HopeHauptman
New Contributor III

I'm currently working with a CAD file and importing it into GIS. I was able to upload the .dwg file into GIS, but it seems the projection is off. The file in California, and it ends up in the Arabian Sea... I've checked my coordinates and projections, and it seems to all be WGS_1984_Web_Mercator_Auxiliary_Sphere. The ESRI support docs indicate that correct positioning "may require an optional coordinate transformation information (WLD file) to identify how the coordinates in the CAD data should be positioned on the earth's surface." Could this be what I am missing or do I need to use the Project tool or something like it? 

0 Kudos
12 Replies
HopeHauptman
New Contributor III

But how do you do this? Is there a step by step approach? I have been told that the CAD layer is in California Coordinate System (CCS) - NAD83 California State Planes, Zone III, US Foot? 

0 Kudos
HopeHauptman
New Contributor III

I ended up using the .prj file and importing a new coordinate system. Thank you!

0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

This book is a great resource for georeferencing issues with any kind of dataset, including CAD files:

Lining Up Data by @MargaretMaher (Esri Press)

also see Several years ago Margaret Maher published a great reference for lining up data in ArcGIS. My questi... 

0 Kudos