Select to view content in your preferred language

Automatically Calculating Acreage on Split

Wednesday
JanessaKluth
New Contributor

I have been using the following process to split polygons and create labels for them, but I am encountering a few issues.

Purpose: drawing the borders of large pastures and proposing new fencelines to split them into smaller portions for better grazing distribution. The fencelines don't exist on the map so I prefer drawing one big polygon and splitting it.

Process: 

- Create New Feature -> I draw perimeter border

** In the attribute table, the Category is "PLU"

** One column is "Amount" and this automatically calculates the acreage based on the area of the polygon

- Modify Features -> Split -> I draw the fences I am recommending to put in

Problem 1. This changes the feature Category to <Null>

Problem 2. The acreage is not automatically calculated, so the acreage for each smaller pasture both say the original larger acreage, and I have to reselect the column and Calculate Geometry.

I want the polygons to automatically be PLU and acreage to be calculated upon the split. Is there a way to do that, or to create a Model that automates this? 

0 Kudos
1 Reply
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You're looking for a split policy. Check out this post: https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-pro-questions/is-it-possible-to-set-quot-use-ratio-policy-quot/...

I don't know if you can set the policy after the layer is created, but with the right split policy in place, you can have your acreage value proportionately split with the features. You can and also dictate how things like your category field are handled, like inheriting the parent value instead of setting to null.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos