Assigning elevation to a contour shapefile

06-01-2021 06:15 AM
JasonShim
New Contributor II

Hi,

I have a digitized contour shapefile (polygon) that I'm trying to assign an elevation. The contour line was traced from a construction drawing (.jpeg) that I have imported into ArcGIS.

I tried using the edit z-value feature tool but that didn’t work for me. I wasn’t able to assign an elevation to it. Elevation is still showing as zero. I have attached a screenshot of my contour shapefile and inputs in Create Feature Class and Edit Vertices. Just wondering if there’s something that I’ve done incorrectly? Can someone advise me on this? 

Thank you,

Jason

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

In a pinch, since I suspect you created a 2D featureclass, why not add a double field called Elev or Z_val and add the value of the contour there.  At least you can use what you have done for most work (like labeling etc etc)

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
JasonShim
New Contributor II

Hi Dan,

Would you be able to demonstrate this "double-field" in a screenshot as an example? Where can I find this "double-field" feature? Sorry, I'm very new to ArcGIS.

Thanks,

Jason

0 Kudos
DrVSSKiran
Occasional Contributor II

Hi,

At first, right-click on your contour polygon in the table of content and go to the attribute table. Create one attribute field either integer or float. and go to the start edition and assign the attribute value in the created attribute field.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

@JasonShim 

help topics are best, and ArcToolbox is your best friend if you a new to Pro.

Everything else is a shortcut.

Add Field (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

All arctoolbox functionality begins here

Anatomy of a tool reference page—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

see the table of contents to the left of that page...

Other readings and tutorials

ArcGIS Pro quick-start tutorials—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

for example

Manage data—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
JasonShim
New Contributor II

Dan, Thank you very much for the helpful information.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Have fun and good luck on your gis ventures

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos