Arrcade - Color Text Conditionally

Jump to solution
04-19-2022 04:26 AM
GRmapper
Occasional Contributor

Hello All,

I have an Arcade expression that conditionally colors a piece of text in a layout.  If I remove the CLR bits it works but with a default color of black. I'd like to get it working with the color assignment if possible. Here is the current statement that proves out as working but I don't get the color I just get the actual color statement characters.

I'd appreciate any coding help.

Expression.png

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
KenBuja
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I just tested this with a Dynamic Text element (a table) and I get some interesting results. First I used your expression and it worked.

color1.png

I then changed the second evaluation to another formatting tag and it worked.

color2.png

But when I added the two tags together, it broke

color3.png

View solution in original post

KieranClark
Occasional Contributor

Hey Jason,

Thank you for this workaround, it does seem to work on the layout page. However, it still breaks when exporting to PDF as either a single page or the whole map series. Did you ever find a more permanent workaround for this?

I'm still trying to figure out what changed between versions as the <CLR> tag used to work perfectly fine in arcade expressions.

Edit: Wow, strike all of that - I figured it out.

Thanks to your post, I was able to figure out a way to set up the code so I didn't have to duplicate a tag and then manually add a </CLR> at the end since I figured if I wrapped it all into a variable it would work. The new code is as follows:

var datafield = $feature.CABLE_IS_COMM_AND_ACCEPT;
var comcolor = "<CLR red='84' green='109' blue='63'>" + "Complete" + "</CLR>"
var inccolor = "<CLR red='255' green='121' blue='0'>" + "Incomplete" + "</CLR>"

Iif(datafield == 1, comcolor, inccolor)

This code worked in a test dynamic element but when I applied it to our existing ones, it broke again. However, you had made mention of don't double click bounding boxes but that got me thinking if the bounding box itself was the issue. Our bounding boxes for the dynamic text elements had been 1.2 inches wide with text centered since that made everything line up correctly on our layout. What I did instead was to make them all 6 inches long and shift the X position to offset by 2.4 inches to account for the wider box.

This has now allowed the expression to stick while changing pages in the map series and while exporting the series to PDF - all of which had broken before with your workaround of manually adding </CLR> at the end. Additionally, double clicking the bounding box does not break the expression - the full tag text appears when you double click but once you click off the display returns to normal.

Seriously, thank you for these thoughts - you really got me on the right track to solve this issue that GRmapper and I have been slamming our heads against for a while.

View solution in original post

13 Replies
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

I have a similar issue when trying to color code results for Arc Flash and Grounding data.  I have a way to do it what works in a dashboard but it would not work in a pop up.  What I ended up doing was using an iff statement 

iif($feature.ENERGYSWD >=8 && $feature.ENERGYSWD <9,$feature.Energy___SWD,'')

RobertBorchert_1-1650372639953.png

I then color coded each expression.  If the second part of the iff is simply '' then it shows nothing.

RobertBorchert_2-1650372732935.png

I originally tried this which works in a Dashboard

//Variable
var mad = (iif($feature.ENERGYMAD>= 2 && $feature.ENERGYMAD <= 7.9,'g',(iif($feature.ENERGYMAD>= 8 && $feature.ENERGYMAD <= 8.9,'y',(iif($feature.ENERGYMAD>= 9 && $feature.ENERGYMAD <= 12.9,'o',(iif($feature.ENERGYMAD>= 13 && $feature.ENERGYMAD <= 24.9,'p',(iif($feature.ENERGYMAD>= 25 && $feature.ENERGYMAD <= 39.9,'r',(iif($feature.ENERGYMAD>= 40 && $feature.ENERGYMAD <= 160,'b',''))))))))))))
//return mad

//FUNCTION COLOR CODE
function colorCode(x){
return Decode(
x,
'g', 'Green',
'y', 'Yellow',
'o','Orange',
'p','Pink',
'r','Red',
'b','Black',
'Gray'
)
}

//RETURNS
return {
attributes:{
mad_col:colorCode(mad),
swd_col:colorCode(mad)
}
}

<p style="color:{expression/mad_col}">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;{Energy___MAD}</p>

0 Kudos
KenBuja
MVP Esteemed Contributor

That code works properly when I test it.

label1.png

Usually, the only thing that breaks the text formatting is having special characters (either "<" or "&") in an attribute, but you aren't including a field in your return string.

0 Kudos
GRmapper
Occasional Contributor

Well I tried the example above with no success. Strange that some tags work as expected but <CLR></CLR> doesn't seem to in my situation. I attached a couple more pics to show. Thanks.

Working_Without_Tag.pngCLR_Tag_Not_Working.png

0 Kudos
KenBuja
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Could you copy your expression directly into a reply (rather than posting an image) to see if anything going on?

0 Kudos
GRmapper
Occasional Contributor

Here is another version that provides the same issue but is slightly different from the example. Thanks.

var val = $feature.CABLE_IS_PRE_ENGINEERED

if (val == 1) {
return "<CLR red = '0' green = '169' blue = '130'>" + "Complete" + "</CLR>"
} else if (val == 0) {
return "Incomplete"
}

0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

In my code example I a //return.  when I remove the // it returns the value I am looking for.  

It just is not working on the pop up with the html markup I show at the bottom of my example.  

This works in a dashboard.

0 Kudos
KenBuja
MVP Esteemed Contributor

My apologies...my testing was assuming this was a label instead of layout text

0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

I started using attribute driving formatting for labels. Works pretty well for when he have a number of features in the same class but need to be formatted slightly different.  Just write one line of code and have it displayed by attributes.  We don't use it widely yet, but when we get our system in Utility Network we will us it a lot more.

0 Kudos
GRmapper
Occasional Contributor
Thanks Ken. I’m having a hard time believing this can’t be done on layout text but perhaps that’s the situation. Thanks. 
0 Kudos