ArcGIS Pro Statistics on Selected Records

Jump to solution
12-04-2018 03:10 PM
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Using ArcGIS Pro (2.2 in my case) how do you get statistics of a given field for just the selected records?  I have 4400 of 11,500 polygons selected.  I would like to see the mean of just one field: right clicking on the field name and selecting Statistics gives the statistics and distribution of ALL records....

Even summary statistics dosen't honor the selection; all I want to do is look at the mean value while making selections.  Seems pretty simple; gotta be missing something silly...

That should just about do it....
44 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

The solution from Trish Rice‌ doesn't suit your needs?

0 Kudos
MalleCarrasco-Harris1
New Contributor III

Unfortunately not, Joe. The solution by Trish Rice does give me the statistics for my selection, but you'll notice it also gives the statistics for the entire data set.

I am looking for an option to turn off the calculation of statistics for the entire data set, as it is large and I think slowing down the calculation of just the selection. Hence, it's slower than the feature in ArcMap and not going to make the cut for addressing our needs during presentations.

JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

And you want it 'on-the-fly' rather than running Summary Statistics?

0 Kudos
MalleCarrasco-Harris1
New Contributor III

Correct, we're just looking for something quick to calculate the sum of a field after we've selected it. We don't need an output table from the Summary Statistics tool.

JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Personally, I wish there were a few things the user could set with the stats; at this point I think its what you see is what you get.

0 Kudos
MalleCarrasco-Harris1
New Contributor III

The best explanation I've seen as to why they don't have it the way it was in ArcMap is because the emphasis on pro is repeatable workflows. I understand that, I personally love coding for that reason. However, from the forums I've crawled on the issue, it seems people really want the quick, ad-hoc stats tool. Those kinds of details may be small, but because it's used so often in our workflow, it's the type of thing that would stop another colleague from jumping from ArcMap to Pro.

JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Yep.  I get it!

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Hi Malle Carrasco-Harris

I've read through your comments about comparing calculation speed for statistics on a selected set of records between ArcMap and ArcGIS Pro.  I did a quick comparison using a dataset with 10 million features and see a dramatic difference if I only want to see the statistics for the selection.  I've shared that with the development team and they have entered an issue in their repo to look into a way to solve the problem in Pro.

Here is my suggestion, though.  I would highly encourage you to submit an idea on ArcGIS Ideas‌ that describes what you're looking for and your use case.  I think I understood enough from your comments on this thread, but specifics would be great.  e.g. how many total records in your typical datasets?

And of those, how many are you selecting in order to view statistics on the selection?  My assumption is that you're repeatedly selecting some features, looking at the sum, then selecting another set, looking at the sum, etc.  Is that the workflow?

I know you mentioned Sum, but is that it?  Are you ever looking for other quick stats on the selection for the work you're doing? e.g. Count, Mean,...

Detailing this in a new idea would give us a way to link the request to the development issue and allow the community to vote and provide more use cases.

Thank you so much!

StephenJackson1
New Contributor III

Kory,

The link you provided "https://community.esri.com/space/2167" to post feedback at ArcGIS Ideas did not work for me.  I appreciate that you provided the link, so users with similar issues can provide feedback - from  what I've read, many users like the "Selection Statistics" tool (the way it was) and would welcome it back (for ArcGIS Pro).   Similar to Malle Carrasco-Harris' feedback, I use the ArcMap "Selection Statistics" tool to quickly calculate the length of (actively selected) roads within my various county road districts to enable decisions, then deselect and move on - for me, this is a VERY useful and efficient tool.  How can I get this feedback to those within Esri, that have the ability to receive it, act on it?   

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Hi Stephen,

That was probably a link to the ArcGIS Pro ideas page: https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-pro-ideas/idb-p/arcgis-pro-ideas

With a selection in place, when you click Statistics for a field in ArcGIS Pro, you get the statistics both for the selection and for all features:

SelectionStatistics.gif

 Is there something specific that isn't working for you? If you do have an idea, feel free to search the Pro ideas to see if it already exists, vote and add a comment with details about your use case. If one does not exist, you can add one - follow the ArcGIS Ideas Submission Guidelines and Statuses 

Hope that helps!

0 Kudos