ArcGIS Pro opening read only projects even though no other projects open

10-15-2018 08:20 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm running ArcGIS Pro 2.2.3 and it keeps opening read only projects when I open projects for the first time. If I then close these and re-open it seems fine.

29 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

… " opening read only projects " ...

Do you mean that you got projects from somewhere, and they open as read-only when you first open them?

Or do you mean that you are creating a new project and it opens as read-only?

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Opening projects that have previously been created

0 Kudos
shan_sarkar
Occasional Contributor III

Kate,

The projects that you are trying to open in arcgis pro 2.2.3 were they made in the same version of arcgis pro?

~Shan

~Shan
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Not necessarily, they can be from different versions. Surely this shouldn't make them open as a read only though still?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

It might be the case, so it might be trying to avoid people using 'save' and writing a new version, which they will then try to open on the older version.

See if 'Save' is disabled, forcing the user to choose 'Save As'.  If that is the case, the newer version should not be read only.

0 Kudos
PaulLohr
Occasional Contributor III

Using ArcGIS Pro version 2.3.1. Same situation here. A project that has been saved can only be opened in read-only mode. I have tried opening the application then opening the file. I have also tried double clicking the aprx file. The result is the same.

MicheleH1_DNReply
Occasional Contributor

ArcGIS Pro 2.3.2 - Projects I have created maybe 1/2 and hour ago - no one else is accessing them or editing any of the layers in them  I successfully saved the project a number of times and then all of a sudden it is read only and I can't save it.  The only thing I can do in order not to lose everything is to save to another project.  So very very frustrating.  Why is it doing this?

Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Hmm.. that's odd behavior. Where is the project saved? On a local drive?

0 Kudos
MicheleH1_DNReply
Occasional Contributor

No - on a network drive.  I've never had this problem with ArcMap or any other programme.  I did think for a while it was because someone else opened the same project file. I've been working on a project with a number of other people recently.  But last night it was just me - with a project I had just created so that's not it.  I do have a couple of other weird things happening that no-one else in my organisation is experiencing but this has happened to others in my team as well.