ArcGIS Pro New Feature are offset

02-24-2022 01:20 PM
emiller
New Contributor II

Can someone please help figure out why the new poly lines and polygons that I create are slightly offset from the line that I have traced? I have tried both drawing and tracing options and both result in the new feature slightly offset. 

Thank you, 

Erin 

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
KimGarbade
Occasional Contributor III

You might have accidentally set the Trace With Offset option (or some other offset option):  

KimGarbade_1-1645742815120.png

But, It almost looks like something else I've seen in the past, something old school in todays project on the fly world...

Are the traced polygons in a different feature class than the polygons they were traced from? 

The reason I ask is that these two polygons are in different feature classes.  The yellow was traced from the green. 

One feature class uses StatePlane NAD 27, the other uses StatePlane NAD 83, and the Map they are loaded into is set to use WGS 1984 Web Mercator (aux sphere).... it almost looks to me like they are two different feature classes with two different datums.

KimGarbade_2-1645743015405.png

emiller
New Contributor II

Thank you for your quick reply. Being new, I should have provided more detail in my post. They are two separate feature layers and both are set to NAD_1983_3TM_111 (I am in Canada). What is even more strange is when I add those two layers into a brand new map and create another polygon it lines up perfectly, even though the geographic coordinate systems are the exact same. I am okay with it being a glitch in the matrix but if it is more than that, then I would like to know how I am causing it. 

0 Kudos
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @emiller you mentioned the 2 layers are in NAD_1983_3TM_111. For the map that reproduces this, what is the coordinate system of the map? Map properties > Coordinate System page > example:

Scott_Harris_0-1645797566623.png

Also what Transformations are set (on the Transformations page)

Scott_Harris_1-1645797717533.png

-Scott

0 Kudos
emiller
New Contributor II

Hi Scott,

Thank you for helping with this. The basemap is WGS1984 and the Transformation is NAD1983 to WGS1984.

0 Kudos
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

I'm assuming you mean the coordinate system of the map is WGS 1984 (which also happens to be the coordinate system of the basemap)? If you provide a screenshot, that will help clarify.

When editing, it's recommended to have the map and the layers being edited in the same coordinate system.

0 Kudos
emiller
New Contributor II

Hi Scott, 

The coordinate system of the basemap is WGS1984 and the layers are NAD1983. Thank you for the recommendation.