ArcGIS Pro: Most Cumbersome

07-10-2018 07:18 AM
KelseyKatro
New Contributor II

Who designed ArcGIS Pro? 

It is absolutely the most cumbersome piece of software I have ever used!

It is so poorly designed compared to ArcMap, which is awesome. QGIS is not as difficult as ArcGIS Pro.

I have a strong feeling, if something is not done to correct this piece of shist, it will go the way of the dodo!!!!

It has such a huge learning curve and poor functionality I am sure most will reject it and you will need to keep making ArcMap. 

The whole Microsoft toolbar approach is absurd. It may work on small programs such as Word or Excel, but using it on software as complex as ArcGIS Pro........not a chance for success. My work takes twice as long to do with Pro and I am sure this feeling is not mutually exclusive.

Give me ArcMap or Give me Death!!!!

Tags (2)
87 Replies
AlexZhuk
Occasional Contributor III

I can live with the Layer Properties window in ArcGIS Desktop not being re-sizeable. But the small yet not resizable Text Editing window has been driving me nuts for years!

0 Kudos
LorinCrandall1
New Contributor III

Haha!! Yeah, that too!

0 Kudos
RobertHarrison
New Contributor II

Tom!  Such negativity! 

I've been using ArcGIS Pro (AGP )aggressively since last summer, having switched over from Desktop which I used since 2000 after an open source conference where a fellow from Oak Ridge Nat'l Lab pointed out to me that ESRI wants desktop to go away in favor of AGP.  So I dove in.

I have a bunch of .mxd files for different tracts I manage and have been converting them over to .aprx files at a steady clip.  Of course it's taken some getting used to, like all new upgrades (as the Bible says, we should be thankful for our problems because they help us grow!)   And yes, it's crashed a few times, but not much considering 6 months of steady use.  And yes, I had to figure out a few different ways to do things  (like "sharing" instead of "printing"!).

I'm excited by the upside of AGP too.  64 bit processing vs 32 bit (desktop) gives exponentially more processing power.  This is the foundation for 3D scenes where I can look at a mountainous tract from all angles with regular base maps.  LIDAR has recently become available for Tennessee which we're just getting into, and 2 foot contours from that LIDAR, and being able to view from any angle is bringing a whole new level to my being able to manage properties in 6 counties from my desk!

With all due respect to Tom,  I recommend hanging in there and embracing ESRI's efforts to innovate!

AndrewQuee

(like "sharing" instead of "printing"!).

That one made me see red for a while.  Yes I get the idea but 'print' has been the correct terminology since computers could put ink to paper, so only the last hundred years or so.  ...and for hundreds of years before that in dead-tree format.

What genius thought that discarding hundreds of years of accepted tradition and wording was necessary to 'sex up' the interface?  "We're not printing anymore that's sooo last-millenium, we're sharing information now, like on social media!"

No doubt they come from the same design school that has our current office remodel banning coat stands and umbrellas from the office "because they look messy."  Meanwhile it can rain here twice a week and has done so for hundreds of thousands of years and no doubt will continue to do so regardless of the aesthetics of the office.

Seems to be style over substance to me.

johnmosheim1
New Contributor III

I think I'd rather spend my time on productive activities and not getting frustrated cuz something does not work well, if people don't voice their concerns with sincerity ESRI will not know, and I'm kinda sure that nobody in this world wants to get sucked into manuvering around stuff that needs attention, since that is not a true solution.

AlexFrantiuc
New Contributor

Autodesk uses the ribbon interface and they seem to do just fine!:) Lets not forget about 64bit proccessing and multicore use.

0 Kudos
SteveCole
Frequent Contributor

Autodesk also enjoys a substantial market share in its respective field like ESRI so that argument isn't very compelling to me. I use Autodesk and its ribbon. I won't say it's "elegant".

TedKowal

LOL!   For some strange reason I have a mental image of Lemmings!   Just can't shake it!

0 Kudos