ArcGIS Pro insert reference grid missing

Jump to solution
06-29-2022 10:33 PM
LindsayRaabe_FPCWA
Occasional Contributor III

I'm wanting to insert a basic reference grid (i.e. A, B, C along the X axis / 1, 2, 3 along the Y axis) but can't see the option to do so in ArcGIS Pro. I've read through the documentation here and here and can't see anything that might result in the option being hidden. 

The only options I get are Graticule, Measure Grid and MGRS Grid (and Custom Grid). Why is it so? 

ArcGIS Pro 2.9 or 3.0

LindsayRaabe_FPCWA_0-1656567178441.png

Lindsay Raabe
GIS Officer
Forest Products Commission WA
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LindsayRaabe_FPCWA

Hi Dan. I thought I'd start from scratch and follow your steps through to make sure it wasn't something project specific.....and sure enough, I've found out what the problem is. 

Non-rectangular map frames. Below is the layout I was trying to insert the reference grid on. You'll notice the map frame has 2 corners cut out to go around the scale bar and legend. 

LindsayRaabe_FPCWA_0-1656571873446.png

I tried again and with a simple rectangle layout (1st image below), the Reference Grid option is present. As soon as I modify the map frame to be non-rectangular (2nd image), the option disappears. I feel this is worthy of mentioning in the notes (even if it makes logical sense in hindsight). 

Rectangle map frame = reference grid

LindsayRaabe_FPCWA_1-1656571956102.png

Non rectangular map frame = no reference grid

LindsayRaabe_FPCWA_2-1656571974541.png

Lindsay Raabe
GIS Officer

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Just to confirm what you did....

map with layers, defined coordinate system (projected coordinate system in this case)

inserted a map frame

selected grid

scrolled down to see all options

grid.png

anything different?

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
LindsayRaabe_FPCWA

Hi Dan. I thought I'd start from scratch and follow your steps through to make sure it wasn't something project specific.....and sure enough, I've found out what the problem is. 

Non-rectangular map frames. Below is the layout I was trying to insert the reference grid on. You'll notice the map frame has 2 corners cut out to go around the scale bar and legend. 

LindsayRaabe_FPCWA_0-1656571873446.png

I tried again and with a simple rectangle layout (1st image below), the Reference Grid option is present. As soon as I modify the map frame to be non-rectangular (2nd image), the option disappears. I feel this is worthy of mentioning in the notes (even if it makes logical sense in hindsight). 

Rectangle map frame = reference grid

LindsayRaabe_FPCWA_1-1656571956102.png

Non rectangular map frame = no reference grid

LindsayRaabe_FPCWA_2-1656571974541.png

Lindsay Raabe
GIS Officer
0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You might want to "tech support" it so they can either confirm it as designed (or bug) or perhaps notify the documentation team to mention it in the help files.

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
LindsayRaabe_FPCWA

I have done both of those. Case number #03095646

Thanks Dan. 

Lindsay Raabe
GIS Officer
0 Kudos