ArcGIS pro doesn't remember printer settings

Jump to solution
01-23-2018 08:12 AM
TomMagdaleno
Occasional Contributor III

When I close are reopen ArcGIS Pro and go to print it always goes to my default printer instead of the plotter.  It also resets all the plotter and page size settings etc.  In ArcMap it would always save this information.  Am I missing something?  

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Arne, 

With ArcGIS Pro version 2.5 Print and Export functionality are being updated and will be available in panes instead of the out-dated modal Print and Export dialog used in versions previous. Settings made in the panes should be persisted. 

Thanks for the feedback!

Tom

View solution in original post

9 Replies
TonyAlmeida
Occasional Contributor II

I have also noticed this, where do you set the default print settings for the project?

0 Kudos
Arne_Gelfert

Very surprised this thread has been so quiet. For all the bells and whistles of Pro that ESRI always touts, every extra mouse-click the average user has to execute is a step back in the evolution of desktop GIS.

I've been getting complaints about Pro always reverting to the default printer after your open a project, and I have replicated this. There isn't that much documentation about pro printing.This is what I'm seeing: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/help/sharing/overview/print-a-map-or-layout.htm

I've tried both Map and Layout printing, and I've been unable to do what the documentation says:

Click OK to print, or click Apply to commit your options without sending the job to the printer.

There is no way for me to 'Apply' in the hopes of saving my printer choice with the project. The button is always greyed out, no matter what printer I try. I can print to any machine, I just can't save that setting.

Bug? 

‌‌ ‌ arcgis pro layout ‌

TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Arne, 

With ArcGIS Pro version 2.5 Print and Export functionality are being updated and will be available in panes instead of the out-dated modal Print and Export dialog used in versions previous. Settings made in the panes should be persisted. 

Thanks for the feedback!

Tom

DavidWheelock2

Glad to hear it, Tom Bole.‌  I'm holdin' ya to it!  

Speaking of which, this is the first mention I've heard of ArcGIS Pro 2.5.  Can you give us ESRI's target release date for version 2.5?

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

David - according to the ArcGIS Pro Roadmap published July 2019, AGP 2.5 is scheduled for release January 2020.

0 Kudos
TylerSchwartz2

A couple ideas.

1) Is your default printer set in Windows correctly?

2) I usually never print out of ArcMap or Pro, better (for me) to export a PDF and print from there.

0 Kudos
TomMagdaleno

My default printer is a desktop 8.5x11.  I don't want word documents accidentally going to the plotter.  

But if I am updating a map from months ago I don't always recall the dimensions it was plotted at.  So I have to inspect the layout and make sure I find the right length and width.  This adds needless minutes to the process.  In ArcMap under Page and Print Setup it always had the last dimensions used under "Map Page Size", but it would also remember the last settings as well.  

0 Kudos
Arne_Gelfert

1) Yes, but my default printer in general, may not be the default printer for a given project. With half a dozen printers and 2-3 plotters around it would be nice if that were saved with the project.

2) I don't ever print any maps. But lots of folks doing desktop GIS stuff I work with do.

Thanks for chiming in, Tyler.

0 Kudos
SamMontoia1
New Contributor III

The Layout's orientation, Color setting from Pro should override the default printer setting by default.  Why is that such a scandal?  it would be nice if I didn't have to look this problem up. 

0 Kudos