ArcGIS Pro does not recognize a folder

11-06-2014 01:50 PM
AaronWeier2
New Contributor II

Has anyone else had an issue with ArcGIS pro not recognizing folders? The main project folder we use does not get listed when connecting to the drive where all of our project folders are. I find this terribly frustrating! Plus Pro crashes a lot for me and I haven't even done anything yet!

45 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

I too haven't seen anything like this (using 1.4.1). Constance, are you seeing something similar? Which version are you using?

0 Kudos
RoyceSimpson
Occasional Contributor III

We are still having this issue at 1.4.1 as well.  See my previous post above.

0 Kudos
RoyceSimpson

I seem to remember reading about this issue where Pro won't show certain folders if, within those specific folders, there are certain file types related to old "Info" directories... or some such...  In any event, there is something going on within certain folders that Pro doesn't like.

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

This might not help but it might be worth checking into. Most times when I cannot see a folder it's because it's new-ish or recently modified. I just click on the refresh button and it then appears. In cases where this does not work, I go through a more rigorous method of logging out of Pro, shutting it down, restarting PC, then opening Pro again and logging back in. 

But I'm guessing your issue may be deeper than this and more of a bug.

RoyceSimpson

I don't believe that is the issue we are having.  What you describe has plagued ArcCatalog as well.  Our issue seems specific to certain folders that we've had around for a long time that have all kinds of subfolders and gis related files in them.  Again, something to note is that if I type in the exact path into the path text box, I get to the folder in question... it's just that Pro won't list those particular folders if trying to browse to them.  See my screenshots above.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Strange... what constraints do you have on your installation?  Is this a complete standalone installation? with you as administrator etc etc (ie like you would have at home without the confines of corporate impositions)

0 Kudos
RoyceSimpson

No constraints that I know of.  I am a local admin on the pc in question.  Everyone that has Pro installed has this same issue. I guess I can try to sleuth out what files or folders is causing this.

0 Kudos
KevinMayall

Thank you!  I am seeing this issue in 1.4.1.  Pro can see folders in my C: drive and F: drive, but not my 😧 drive.  But hitting the Refresh button on the top right of the window caused all of my 😧 folders to suddenly appear.

Kevin
0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Just took an ArcGIS Pro training class and the instructor said that there would be an auto-refresh in the next release (2.0) (This refresh problem was actually an issue in the training class).  This will solve the newish folder visibility problem, but probably not the original poster's issue.

Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

I found something on the Support Services area and believe it to be a bug:

Folders not appearing in ArcGIS Pro project list

BUG-000103021

A folder is invisible to ArcGIS Pro if it contains a 'segments.gen' file.

• The issue seems specific to a file called segments.gen, as other names do not cause the issue.
  • A gen file is a legacy file type that ArcINFO uses to generate points, however it also looks like specifically 'segments.gen' is also related to the Apache Lucene search engine library: Understanding lucene segments - http://stackoverflow.com/questions/17622732/understanding-lucene-segments.
  • In case 01941861, it was found that segments.gen is actually a file created by ArcGIS Pro itself - usually in this location \<ProjectName>\Index\<ProjectName>\segments.gen. However in this case the file was created at the root of the folder containing the project itself. This seemed to be a unique situation for a particular project.