ArcGIS Pro Ability to read Access Database

07-12-2018 06:24 AM
BrettHeist
New Contributor III

ArcGIS Pro 2.2.0

Does this not support the ability to view Access Databases when adding data to a map like in ArcMap!? When I navigate to where my database is located through the "add data" window there isn't anything showing up. Now I have to go back to ArcMap so I can work with my data...frustrating 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus
0 Kudos
BrettHeist
New Contributor III

noted

0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

Isn't' going to happen. You need to load your date into a file geodatabase

Pro was built around being the most compatible with Portal/server/online.  For which you need a file GDB or SDE

0 Kudos
TedKowal
Occasional Contributor III

But a shape file is?  

MS Access if VERY compatible with Portal and Online Servers ... direct experience with this!

BrettHeist
New Contributor III

Yes, that feels like a huge oversight to not include that ability in Pro!  I keep coming across issues like that the more I use Pro and am always shocked. I can't believe they also took the ability to search and replace in an attribute table away as well!! Are you kidding me, how was that something they looked at and thought it would be ok to remove? I wonder what the reasoning was there? Maybe lack of communication with the user community? 

TedKowal
Occasional Contributor III

Vote here Enable ArcGIS Pro to access ESRI Personal Geodatabases   and possibly some action will be taken.  I know for fact...currently our department will not migrate to pro if MS Access is not accepted.  

BrettHeist
New Contributor III

Done!

RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

That is one of the number tops reasons we do not use Pro

BrettHeist
New Contributor III

I have really come to love Pro and it's project-centric approach though but I'm just left dumbfounded when I come across some functionality being left out like that. From what I read in one of Ted's threads and the discussion he was having about the access database reading ability being left out, it seems ESRI is taking the approach of telling us what we need and don't need and that seems like a dangerous precedent to set. When you participate in the ESRI feedback option when installing ArcMap or Pro, they should really keep a log of what features that user is using the most to be shared back so they can better understand their audience. Sure it's not that simple, but would be awesome if they could!