ARC GIS Pro Data Sharing

10-27-2017 09:47 AM
TedKowal
Occasional Contributor III

I recently had a chance to play around with ArcGIS Pro 2.  Look and felt nice except for being ungodly slow.  I am sure that will change moving forward in its development. 

However, I did run across a show stopper for me and my agency.  We rely heavily on Microsoft Office products and share data between the office products (Outlook, Word, Excel, MS Access, One Note and Visio) and numerous other applications.  The personal MS Access database is core to us sharing data. 

I understand the limitations of the 32 bit drivers -- however there are 64 bit work arounds as well as a 64 bit Access engine which we had to employ for various 64 bit applications.  Forcing the File GDB upon our agency is a show stopper.  Not one other product outside of ESRI, whereas, 100% of our Agency software products (both 32 bit and 64 bit) versions can read a personal Geodatabase.  The GDB is not compatible with anything outside of ESRI.  I believe that only leaves a DBF as an option -- are we moving forward?  In fact our outside Contracts cannot limit GIS to ESRI formats/products but must be able to accept data from numerous GIS platforms other than ESRI -- again MS ACCESS database has proven over and over to be an essential tool in storing and coverting external data into something we can use.

Currently without MS Access there is no possible way for me to go down the ArcGIS pro path.  ESRI does not allow editing to a SQL-Lite or SQL Server  without special licensing!

Any one else facing this situation?

Tags (1)
3 Replies
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

tkowal

1. For the request to support personal geodatabase in ArcGIS Pro, if you haven't done so already, please vote for and provide your story in the comments on https://community.esri.com/ideas/12662

2. Can you provide any further details about the slow performance you're seeing in ArcGIS Pro?  Slow when doing what?  What kind of data, where, how big, editing, rendering, exporting, sharing???  Please provide some more details and if we need to we can reach out off this thread to do some specific troubleshooting.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
TedKowal
Occasional Contributor III

KKramer-esristaff‌  

1.  Yes I did vote for "Enable ArcGIS Pro.  Yes I have contacted support and explained why a GDB is not a solution or work-around for me.  I have been doing this since the early 2000's when the GDB first came out and a promised ODBC drivers would follow.....I still have not seen any drivers that would be functional to date in a business sense.

2.  It is kinda hard to report on slow performance when "EVERYTHING" is or appears to be slower.  From loading data, editing, displaying Aerials, labeling, hell just simple selects.  This does not concern me nor is a breaking point ATM ( I can remember feeling ArcMap was slow when it went to version 8 compared to ArcView 3x).

Otherwise, I did find everything I need without too much hardship or exploring (had no issue with the interface).  I did find everything that I need on a day to day basis -- easily accessible.  Of course the graphics look much prettier!  But the main use for GIS, for me, is Data (creation, translations and prepping) to share  enterprise wide.

Thanks for the comments

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Thanks, Ted.  If you do find large performance disparities between workflows in ArcMap and equivalent workflows in ArcGIS Pro, please do log those with technical support so that they can be assessed.

Cheers

0 Kudos