Defining Database Connection Name while creating

06-14-2013 03:20 AM
Labels (1)
PiotrIwaniuk
New Contributor III

I use many database servers, often with different instances and, of course, users. When you create new connection it is named automatically like "connection to -server-.sde". First of all the "connection to" part is totally needless, it's in Database Connection branch of the tree, isn't it. Name of the server is kind of insufficient and always needs editing. I think it would be really nice if the name of the connection could be defined in Add Database Connection dialog or at least automatically created in more useful way, i.e. server instance user.sde (or server database user.sde).

9 Comments
AlainCOUTURIER
it would be really nice if the name of the connection could be defined in Add Database Connection dialog or at least automatically created in more useful way, i.e.my preference : server database (user).sde).
PaulHoefflerGISS

Setting the name during new database connection creation would be an improvement, and/or to have the default name include the database name, the user, and the database instance - these are all important attributes of the connection. As mentioned by OP, the current default name is fairly useless.

Kory Kramer‌, have you seen an Idea that's more recent than this one and/or specific to Pro?

This is something that's bothered me and been a pain for years - I bet many would appreciate a simple improvement!

KoryKramer

Like this? ArcGIS Pro Database Connection Naming based upon Database not Instance 

As for naming as part of creating the connection, looking at this in Pro 2.5, as soon as the connection is created, it is highlighted and ready to rename

I realize that it isn't asking you to populate a parameter called "Connection name" as part of the Database Connection dialog, but the item is activated for editing as part of the process of creating the connection.

Anyway, for the actual default name to be different, I think that idea referenced above gets at that.

Hope this helps.

PaulHoefflerGISS

Yep, that Idea seems a bit more relevant.

The immediate rename is helpful, but a more useful default name would be excellent.

Thanks for your quick and helpful response!

Bud
by

ArcGIS Pro 2.6.8

When creating a database connection via the Catalog pane...

Bud_5-1681945915935.png

...there doesn't seem to be a way to define the connection name as part of the connection creation process:

Bud_0-1681945134934.png

The new connection is automatically given the name of the database:

Bud_2-1681945429309.png

But I want the connection to indicate the name of the database user/schema/owner too. Such as:

• PROD OS Authentication.sde
  • PROD INFRASTR.sde
  • DEV INFRASTR.sde

I can manually rename the connection afterwards:

Bud_3-1681945558575.png

But that doesn't seem ideal. I might accidently choose the wrong connection to rename if there are lots of existing connections. Or I might forget to rename it.

It would be bad if the name was wrong or too vague and I accidently connected to the wrong user/schema/owner. Viewing the wrong data is confusing. Editing or modifying/deleting objects is worse.

I think it would be safer and more convenient to name the connection while creating the connection, not after-the-fact. It would work similarly to SQL clients like SQL Developer:

Bud_4-1681945760280.png

Could that functionality be added? Or am I missing something?

Thanks.

MarceloMarques

Indeed. This is a good idea to be able to provide a name for the connection file in the dialog in ArcGIS Pro.

SSWoodward

Thanks @Bud

I've merged the two ideas.  As mentioned by Kory, the focus should be on the new SDE connection file in the catalog right after leaving the database connection dialog, which allows you to rename the file that was just created without having to figure out which one is the one you want.

I know this is not the same as having a default naming convention auto populate, or having the option to name in the dialog, but hopefully it addresses one hurdle identified by your idea.

But that doesn't seem ideal. I might accidently choose the wrong connection to rename if there are lots of existing connections.

SSWoodward
Status changed to: In Product Plan

KoryKramer
Status changed to: Implemented

This Idea has been implemented in ArcGIS Pro 3.2. Please see the What's New documentation for more new features in Pro 3.2.

The Your Ideas in ArcGIS Pro 3.2 blog and video have been posted to the Esri Community blog. You can take a look at these to see your idea and all others that were implemented in this release of ArcGIS Pro.