Select to view content in your preferred language

Create or Import New Legend Patch Shape

12-08-2020 02:04 PM
Labels (1)
JustinRego
New Contributor II

In ArcMap I was able to create a new patch shape for the legend. This was a tool from Customize the tool bar called New Legend Patch Shape. It no longer appears available in Pro. This level of customization is critical for my mapping efforts and I would love to regain access to this tool!

30 Comments
SarahWillett

End users of maps really like it when the shape of an Area of Interest in the map is reflected in the legend. Non-GIS users also think it makes layouts more eye catching.

Sammy
by

+1 waiting for this feature to be available in Pro

AlvisDou

ArcGIS Pro v3.2 was released a few days but I still don't see this function coming back. I'd like to know when will we see it blooming in Pro? v4, or in further future?

CraigWilliams
Status changed to: Under Consideration

CRose
by

Thanks for considering this idea! I would like to use this because I have several distinct natural features for which all of the available legend shape options seem too "robotic" ... the parabolic swoops of dune crests, sinuous eskers, and scalloped scarp exposures. 

NavaSheer

Thank you for considering the idea!  Have been waitng (way too long😞) for this to be implemented.

jcokin1

I share in the same sentiment as @NavaSheer.

We have been waiting (way too long 😒 ) for this to be considered for implementation.

ArcGIS Pro is not on parity with ArcMap. 2 years until ArcMap is retired and it took 4 years to even be "under consideration" by ESRI.  

There is no guarantee this will even happen. Seeing is believing. I will wait until it is there in the GUI to celebrate.

The whole process going to ArcPro from ArcMap has just been one disappointment to another. 

Note: ArcGIS Pro 1x was released in Q1 of 2015 for some perspective.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ArcGIS_Pro

JustinRego

@CraigWilliams glad to see this! I still have not really switched to Pro because of deficits such as this as compared to ArcMap.

PeterMcGown1

This capability was quite important for my business as it provided the ability to customise or import client symbols into the legend. Not having this available or having to convert to graphics is limiting the adoption of Pro into the business. Please ESRI fix this in future update as it is very difficult to justify the cost of the licencing with having limited functionality of the previous version. Half the business has moved to QGIS and pressure is on to reduce costs.

EMagnuson

It's possible to change the size and shape of a patch, but what if I want an entirely custom legend patch?

Feature would be accessible via this dropdownFeature would be accessible via this dropdownI propose that users be able to set a custom .png or .svg as a layer's patch. The image would be stored with the layer in same way that the patch's shape is now. 

There are a lot of use-cases for this:

Hatches, borders, and rotated symbols often don't look right when adjusted to the legend's scale.

If a layer uses blend modes or transparency, you want the legend item to reflect how the layer looks against the background of your map, not against the background of the layout. 

If you want to patch to be a combination of the symbol and a label, this is impossible using the current legend options. Without being able to add labels to the legend, there is limited utility to symbolizing points with labels, a solution ESRI suggested to prevent overlapping points.

These are just a few examples I could find or have run into myself. There are many more; the way you want a symbol to look in a legend is often different from how you want it to look in the map itself.

It's true that converting a legend to graphics makes it possible to fix some of this manually. But graphics are not dynamic, they don't carry over to new layouts, and they won't follow a layer if its published as a feature service and used by others.

Please comment if you support this suggestion and want ESRI to implement it, or have ideas for how it could be improved.